ALLEY and MACLELLAN – SENTINEL Shrewsbury Glasgow Scotland

Alley and MacLellan

Logo

of Sentinel Works, Polmadie, Glasgow and at Worcester

Alley and MacLellan was an engineering company in Glasgow, which used the Sentinel brand name, and was the developer of the Sentinel steam vehicle

logo Sentinel beeld

Logo Sentinel

General

1875 Stephen Alley and John MacLellan founded Alley and MacLellan in London Road, Glasgow.

1880 The company moved to the Sentinel Works at Polmadie, Glasgow.

1885 Started production of the Sentinel High Speed Steam Engine used for electricity generation, marine engines and for factory work. They also built boats at their own shipyard.

1889 See 1889 Shipbuilding Statistics for detail of the tonnage produced.

1894 Catalogue of fittings.

1903 Became public company. The company was registered on 3 June, to acquire the business of a firm of the same name, manufacturers of valves, air compressors, high speed engines, engine fittings, marine auxillary machinery etc.

1906 Took the rights to the development work on steam wagons carried out by Simpson and Bibby and Daniel Simpson retained by the company as a consultant for ten years.

1911 Manufacturer of Axle Boxes for the Railways.

1914 Engineers and shipbuilders (light-draught craft). Specialities: air compressors, steam motor wagons, steering gears and ships’ auxiliary machinery, light draught steamers and barges, valves for steam and water and waterworks fittings, high-speed steam engines, ash hoisting engines, capstans, feed water filters and heaters. Employees 900.

1917 Advert for ‘Sentinel’ Valves.

1918 Stephen Alley sold his shares in Alley and MacLellan to William Beardmore and Co; the Glasgow works were separated from the Sentinel Waggon Works which were concentrated at Shrewsbury.

1919 Advert for ‘Sentinel’ Valves.

1927 Advert for ‘Sentinel’ Valves (of Sentinel Valve Works, Worcester).

1937 Engineers and ironfounders.

1940 Advert for air Compressors (of Sentinel Works, Glasgow S2) and Valves (of Sentinel Valve Works, Worcester).

1945 Advert for ‘Sentinel’ air compressors. (of Sentinel Works, Glasgow, S2).

1945 Advert for ‘Sentinel’ steam traps and valves. (of Sentinel Valve Works, Worcester).

1951 Advert for Compressors and vacuum pumps. (of Polmadie, Glasgow).

1952 Was a fully owned subsidiary of Glenfield and Kennedy. Acquired Browett Lindley Ltd fromGeorge Cohen, Sons and Co[14]

1960 Advert for balanced opposed compressors. (of Polmadie).

1960 Advert for Valves. (of Worcester).

1960 The compressors business at Polmadie was transferred to G. and J. Weir. Fixed assets at Polmadie were sold to Davy and United Engineering Co who would use this facility to expand their works in the Glasgow area

1961 Engineers, manufacturing air and gas compressors, marine auxiliary, vacuum pumps and steam engines. 400 employees.

1880     80629E-West 1880 00102E-AlleyMac 1889 1213Eng-Alley2 1899  PEYB-Alley 1901  Eing-Alley 1901 Alley01 1901 EnV91-p642a 1901 EnV91-p642b 1901 EnV101-p246a 1902 Alley02 1903 Alley03 1906 EnV101-p618ee 1906EnV101-p247a 1906-ImEnV101-p618e 1907 0406MCJ-Alley 1907 Alley & Maclellan Lyd 1907 V103-p642ca 1907 V103-p642ddb 1907 V103-p642gb 1909 V107-p524 1909 V107-p524a 1913 Eing-Alley 1914 23GT-Sent-1914 1914 v118-p351 1918 AlleyMacLellandA 1918 AlleyMacLellandB 1918 MWYB-Alley1 1918 MWYB-Alley4 1926 EYB-Alley 1926 EYB-Alley2 1926 PR-AM 1926 PR-AM2

Sentinel sword

1931-built Sentinel DG4 1936 MWHB-Alley 1936 MWHB-Alley0 1936 MWHB-Alley2 1943 MWYB-Alley 1943 MWYB-Alley2 1943 MWYB-Alley3 1951 MWYB-Alley 1959 0220En-Alley2 1960 MWYB-Alley2 2011 06GTM-Alley 2011 06GTM-Alley2 2014 03QM-Alley2 2014 03QM-Ally Alley_ash_hoist01 Alley_compressor01 JD_Alley01

 1931-built Sentinel DG4

Preserved 1931-built Sentinel DG4.

1920 Sentinel no. 8714 Bus - Martha - KG 1132 at Cumbria 09

A Sentinel Steam Bus

 1924 Super Sentinel FA1803

1924 Super Sentinel FA1803

Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd was a British company based in Shrewsbury, Shropshire that made steam-powered lorries, railway locomotives, and later, diesel engined lorries and locomotives.

History

Alley & MacLellan, Sentinel Works, Jessie Street Glasgow

The company began life about 1875 as Alley & MacLellan based in Polmadie, Glasgow. They moved from Polmadie Road to the nearby Jessie Street where they continued in operation until the 1950s. Alley & MacLellan began producing steam road vehicles in 1906 when they introduced a5 ton vertical-boiler wagon, which featured a 2-cylinder undertype engine and chain drive. Around 1915 Alley & McLellan moved the steam wagon production to a new factory in England and it continued under a separate company (see below). However, Alley & MacLellan continued to operate in the original Sentinel Works in Jessie Street, Glasgow until the 1950s. They produced a wide range of engineering products including compressors, valves, etc. The ‘Sentinel’ name continued to be used for the products of the original Glasgow works until the mid 20th Century.

Perhaps the most surprising fact is that the Sentinel Works in Glasgow, though a significant distance from the River Clyde, produced almost 500 small ships and boats. The vast majority of these vessels were built as ‘knock downs’ – i.e. assembled at the Jessie Street works using nuts and bolts, then dismantled and shipped as parts in crates to their client destination where they were re-assembled using rivets. At least one Alley & McLellan ship still exists – the motor vessel (originally steam ship) Chauncy Maples built at Jessie Street in 1899 and reassembled on Lake Nyasa (now Lake Malawi) in 1901. Alley & MacLellan continued in operation, though owned firstly by Glenfield & Kennedy, Kilmarnock, then G & J Weir, Glasgow, until the 1950s.

The original Sentinel Works in Jessie Street, Glasgow is still in existence in 2009 though now in a very derelict condition. The design offices and pattern shop is listed category A as a building of significant national importance. It was the first steel-reinforced concrete building in Scotland.

Move to Shrewsbury

1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam railcarLNER Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar

A new company Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd was formed when steam wagon production was switched to a new factory, opened at Shrewsbury in 1915. There were several other slight changes to the name over the company’s lifetime when further infusions of working capital were required to obviate financial problems.

Alley & MacLellan’s early wagon was so successful that it remained in production with relatively few updates until the launch of Sentinel’s famous Super in 1923. The company also produced steam railway locomotives and railcars, for railway companies and industrial customers.

In 1917, the company was bought by William Beardmore & Co., Ltd.

Sentinel Waggon Works (1920) Ltd

In 1920, after financial problems, the company was reorganised as Sentinel Waggon Works (1920) Ltd. The Sentinel ‘Super’ model that followed in 1923 was assembled in a radical new plant at Shrewsbury, with a flow line based on Henry Ford’s Model T factory at Highland Park, Michigan, with 1,550 vehicles produced.

Sentinel, along with Foden, dominated the steam market, but the 1930s saw the demise of both companies’ ranges as new legislation forced the development of lighter lorries, Sentinel surviving the longest.

In 1934 Sentinel launched a new and advanced steamer – the S type which had a single-acting 4-cylinder underfloor engine with longitudinal crankshaft and an overhead worm-drive axle. Their Sentinel Waggon Works’ design of 1935 led to the production of 3,750 Sentinel ‘Standards’ in the seventeen years that followed, the biggest selling steam lorry ever. It was lighter and featured a modernised driver’s cab with a set-back boiler and was available in four, six and eight-wheel form, designated S4, S6 and S8. In spite of its sophisticated design, however, it could not compete with contemporary diesel trucks for all-round convenience and payload capacity, and was phased out in the late 1930s. It was not the end of Sentinel’s involvement with steam, however; the company built about 100 “S” type vehicles for export to Argentina as late as 1950, for use by the Río Turbio coal mine. It has been stated that Sentinel were never paid for the last batch of the Río Turbio production run. At least two of the Río Turbio waggons survive in Argentina to this day.

In 1946 Thomas Hill’s signed an agency agreement with Sentinel for repair and maintenance of diesel vehicles. In 1947 Sentinel offered to extend the agreement for diesel vehicles to include the steam locomotives and an agency was accepted by Thomas Hill for sales and servicing.

Sentinel (Shrewsbury) Ltd

In 1947 the company became Sentinel (Shrewsbury) Ltd, and had developed a new range of diesel lorries. Despite Sentinel’s superbly engineered vehicles, sales diminished throughout the 1950s, and by 1956 the company was forced to cease lorry production. The factory was acquired by Rolls-Royce for diesel engine production, and the remaining stock of parts and vehicles was taken over by Sentinel’s chief dealer, North Cheshire Motors Ltd of Warrington, who formed a new company, Transport Vehicles (Warrington) Ltd, in 1957 to produce Sentinel-based designs under the TVW name.

In 1963 Thomas Hill’s decided to renew the loco agreement and relinquish the diesel vehicle agency, concentrating all efforts on the steam locomotive work.

Rolls-Royce agree to build diesel locomotives

Rolls-Royce Sentinel Cattewater, now at the East Somerset RailwayRolls-Royce Sentinel Cattewater, now at the East Somerset Railway

An 0-6-0 outside crank Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works in 2008An 0-6-0 outside crank Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works in 2008.

Despite the various interesting developments, Rolls Royce did not consider railway locomotives to be part of their core business. They had agreed to complete all steam locos on order, and four steam receiver locos ordered by Dorman Long in 1956, but only after much consideration did Rolls-Royce finally agree at the end of 1957 to design and build a diesel locomotive of similar weight and power to the 200 hp (150 kW) steam loco that had sold so well. Thomas Hill’s would assist in the design and development of these diesel machines and would be the Sole distributor.

Last steam locomotives

In 1958 the last two Sentinel steam locos were delivered marking the end of an era. Two of the newly developed steam receiver locos were delivered and proved very satisfactory in service, but Dorman Long were not happy. There had been a change of heart among their engineers as well as a change of circumstances, and they were now favouring diesel locomotives. The last two steam receiver locos were built but never delivered and ultimately all four were converted to diesel hydraulic.

Diesel production commences

The prototype Sentinel diesel locomotive was built and ready to commence trials on the former Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway (then under military control) early in 1959. It met with the approval and enthusiasm of the Company’s prospective customers and before the end of the year 17 locomotives had been sold and delivered. The company was ready to produce a maximum of four locomotives a month.

By 1963 four different Sentinel diesel models were being produced, commencing with the 34 ton chain drive 0-4-0 powered by the Rolls-Royce C6SFL six-cylinder engine of 233 bhp (174 kW) (gross) (later uprated to 255 bhp (190 kW)). This was followed within a year by a 48 ton 0-6-0 rod coupled machine, fitted with a Rolls-Royce C8SFL eight-cylinder engine of 311 bhp (232 kW) (gross) (later uprated to 325 bhp (242 kW)). Between 1963 and 1966 a fleet of these diesel locomotives, eventually numbering five 0-6-0s and 18 0-4-0s, was supplied to the Manchester Ship Canal Company for use on the navigation’s private railway network.

These Sentinels demonstrated their suitability for heavy work, but heavier and more powerful locos were called for, particularly by the steel industry, and before the end of 1963 a 74 ton 0-8-0 powered by 2 x C8SFL engines and a 40 ton 0-4-0 fitted with a C8SFL engine had been added to the range.

Sentinel Steelman

A shaft drive 600 hp (450 kW) 0-6-0 machine was now being developed at Shrewsbury to use the new DV8T engine. Considerable interest in this loco was expressed by Stewart and Lloyds mineral division at Corby who were operating more than 20 steam locos, mainly of the Austerity type. This new locomotive Steelman was eventually delivered to Corby in late 1967, about two years overdue. The prototype locomotive proved satisfactory and three more were ordered by Stewart and Lloyds and one by Richard Thomas and Baldwins, Scunthorpe. With Stewart and Lloyds’ programme to replace more than 20 steam locos over the next few years the future for Steelman looked good.

Unfortunately for the Company and Rolls-Royce, British Railways, seeing a potential for their Swindon-built class 14 diesel hydraulic locomotives made Stewart and Lloyds an offer of 26 locomotives around three years old at a fraction of their original cost. The Class 14 locomotive had proved rather a white elephant for B.R. but powered by a 650 hp (480 kW) Paxman, Voith Transmission, a rod coupled 0-6-0 capable of doing the work required, it was an offer that Stewart and Lloyds could hardly refuse. New locomotive sales were declining anyway, and the release of such locos onto the industrial market at such prices was disastrous, and regrettably no further “Steelman” locos were built at Shrewsbury.

This was not to be the end of the Steelman. Some 12 years later ICI Billingham wanted two heavy locomotives to replace their ageing Yorkshire Janus locomotives. Their stated wish was to buy the best and most up to date equipment available and in their efforts to achieve this aim, their engineers visited many industrial sites, and steelworks in particular. Their requirements were discussed with all UK locomotive manufacturers, and the final outcome of their investigations was an order for an updated version of the “Sentinel Steelman locomotive”. This order was subsequently increased to two machines which were delivered toward the end of 1981.

UK sales of Sentinel locos were now fewer than 10 per year, their only overseas success had been to license the assembly of 36 0-6-0 locomotives by Sorefame for the Portuguese Railways in 1965/6. These locomotives became the CP Class 1150.

Road vehicles

1934-built S4 dropside in steamPreserved 1934-built S4 dropside in steam

Steam waggons

1929 0515Loco-Sent 1951 Sentinel-Cammell Steam Railcar No 5208 Egypt 1951-built articulated Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar, no. 5208, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Sentinal Cammell Steam Rail Car Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 6515 Isebrook at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 9537 Susan at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Sentinel 040 No 6515 Isebrook

Diesel lorries

1951 Sentinel Flat Trucks by colinfpickett 1951 Sentinel 1954 Sentinel 1955 Im20110805PK-c043 1955 Sentinel DV 4-6T Tipper 1959 Im2012WESES-Sentinel1 6820663472_17cd149255 BRS Sentinel DV-1 Flavel's Sentinel DV44 by Mike Jeffries images Sentinel 008SFEC VINTAGE-VEHICLES Sentinel A30 Sentinel DV 6-6 Flatbed lorry Sentinel lorry Sentinel no 9074 (Proctors Pride) reg BEV 466 Sentinel Trucks

Diesel buses

1939 Sentinel HSG-Cowieson 1949 Sentinel rood 1950 Sentinel STC4, GUJ608 1950 Sentinel STC4 1950 Sentinel STC4-40 with a Sentinel B40F body  zzhaw180 1950 Sentinel STC4-40, GUJ457, with Sentinel B40F body operating for Morgan, Armthorpe (Blue Line) 1950's Sentinel Coach Chassis 1951 0420CM-Senit 1951 non-standard Sentinel Midland Red single-decker 4846, HAW578 mr4846 1951 Sentinel Adv 1951 Sentinel rechthoekige ramen 1951 Sentinel SLC4 with Beadle body converted from a centre-entrance coach to a front-entrance bus by the operator 1954 CMS-Sentinel 1954 Sentinel SLC6 30 with Whitson C40C body zz657cmt 1955 Sentinel Duple PXE-761 1955 Sentinel SLC6 with Burlingham B44F body 1955 Sentinel SLC6-30 with a Burlingham Seagull C41C bodyzzowu772 1955 Sentinel STC6 1955 Sentinel STC6-44 Sentinel B44F seats 1955 Sentinel-Camplejohn 28-2b.HPTG 1955 Sentinel-SLC6-30-Camplejohn33-d.HPTG Sentinel B009 Sentinel HAW373 zz Sentinel queen of the road NHY637 Sentinel STC4-Beadle Sentinel STC6 model ytc130cbarnsleyexcamblejohnbros.J.Law_2

Railway vehicles

1957 Sentinel chain-drive shunterSentinel chain-drive shunter of 1957

1959 4wDH (Sentinel 1959) Dunaskin Shed, BCOE

The locomotives and railcars (with a few exceptions) used the standard steam lorry boilers and engine units.

CE Class

Centre Engine

BE Class

At_Rest_-_geograph.org.uk_-_748615

LMS Sentinel 7164

Balanced Engine

DE Class

Double Engine

100 hp Steam Locomotives

Works no. 6515/1926, Isham Quarries, Northamptonshire, (ex-GWR No. 12)

Works no. 6520/1926, “Toby” 0-4-0VG; Port of Par, Cornwall. (Replaced 1876 Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST “Punch”. Replaced by Bagnall 0-4-0ST “Alfred” and “Judy”).

Works no. 6807/1928, “Gervase”; rebuilt as a vertical-boilered geared locomotive from 1900 Manning Wardle. (Moved to Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1972, and to the Elsecar Steam Railway in 2008.)

Works no. 7026/1928, British Quarrying Co., Criggion, Montgomeryshire

Works no. 7299/1928, Corby Quarries, Rockingham Forest, (ex-Phoenix Tube Works)

Works no. 9365/1945, “Belvedere”; Isham Quarries, Northamptonshire, (ex-Thomas Hill, Rotherham): preserved at Northamptonshire Ironstone Railway Trust

Works no. 9369/1946, “Musketeer”; Isham Quarries, Northamptonshire, (ex-Williams & Williams, Hooton): preserved at Northamptonshire Ironstone Railway Trust

Works no. 9615/1956, Oxfordshire Ironstone Quarries, Banbury

LMS Sentinels 7160-3

LNER Class Y1

LNER Class Y3

200 hp Steam Locomotives

LNER Class Y10

S&DJR Sentinels

Works no. 7109/1927, Croydon Gasworks No. 37 “Joyce”, preserved at Midsomer Norton railway station

Railcars

1951-built articulated Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar, no. 5208, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre1951-built articulated Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar, no. 5208, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre

In 1925 the New Zealand Railways Department bought one Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar which became part of its RM class.

Between 1925 and 1932 the London and North Eastern Railway bought 80 Sentinel steam railcars and four were supplied to the LNER-controlled Cheshire Lines Committee.

In 1928 Palestine Railways bought two Sentinel-Cammell articulated steam railcars for local services. Each unit had two cars articulated over three bogies. Palestine Railways found the railcar format inflexible, as if passenger numbers exceeded the capacity of a train it was not practical to couple up an extra coach. In 1945 PR removed the Sentinel engines and converted the railcars to ordinary coaching stock.

In 1933 the Southern Railway bought a Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar for use on the Devil’s Dyke branch, in East Sussex. Although operationally successful, the single railcar was not large enough to meet the needs of this line. It was transferred away from the line in March 1936 and tried in other areas, but was withdrawn in 1940.

In 1951 Egyptian National Railways bought 10 articulated steam railcars. Each had three carriage bodies articulated over four bogies. One is preserved by the Quainton Railway Society at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, England.

Specials

The Doble Shunter

LMS Sentinel 7192 – so-called as it was fitted with an Abner Doble boiler

The Double Locomotive

A special locomotive was produced at Sentinel, for Dorman Long and named “Princess”. It consisted of 2 x 0-6-0 chassis coupled together to articulate. One unit carried the cab, a 5 drum oil-fired Woolnough boiler and two 100 hp (75 kW) engines. The other unit housed the water and fuel tanks and also two more 100 hp (75 kW) engines providing a total of 400 hp (300 kW). It was considered a magnificent machine by the staff but unfortunately was the only one of its kind ever built.

The Gyro locomotive

Another special was the NCB Gyro or Electrogyro Locomotive. Based on a 200 hp (150 kW) 4-wheeled 0-4-0 frame fitted with two “gyro units” (see Flywheel energy storage) made byMaschinenfabrik Oerlikon of Switzerland. The gyros were principally a 3 ton horizontal flywheel enclosed in a vessel filled with low pressure hydrogen. A vertically mounted three-phase squirrel-cage electric motor/generator was directly coupled to each flywheel shaft. The motor took its power from a side-mounted supply at static posts via a four-contact swinging arm extended or retracted pneumatically by the driver. Power could only be taken whilst the loco was stationary alongside one of these posts. When the gyros had reached the required speed, the driver would retract the contact arm, switch the motor to generation and controlled the locomotive in a similar way to a diesel-electric loco. Charging posts had to be strategically placed around the site. A contact arm was provided on each side of the locomotive, although it is not clear if posts were installed on one or both sides of the track. Each gyro operated between 3,000 rpm when fully ‘charged;’ and 1,800 rpm before recharging. Recharging took 212 minutes and the locomotive could work for around 30 minutes before recharging. It weighed 34 tons and had a maximum speed of 15 mph (24 km/h).

This machine was specially built for the National Coal Board (NCB) at Seaton Delaval. The intention was to investigate the use of gyroscopic storage as a potential method for a flameproof and emissions-free underground locomotive. It operated very satisfactorily but was eventually taken out of service because of site development and its restricted field of operation. In April 1965 it was converted for the NCB to a diesel hydraulic machine.

The Receiver Locomotives

The Receiver Locomotives were another special type built just for Dorman Long and were based on the idea of a Fireless locomotive.

Steam locomotives used by UK Main Line Companies

Preservation

Road vehicles

A number of Sentinel steam waggons and tractors exist in preservation in the UK—about 117 as of 2008. For example, Preserved Sentinel Super steam wagon No. 5676. They are often shown at steam fairs in the UK. For more information see the Sentinel Drivers Club website. A number also exist in Australia and other countries.

Railway locomotives

United Kingdom

There are several surviving steam locomotives located at various heritage railways around the UK, including: the Elsecar Heritage Railway, the Middleton Railway, the Foxfield Light Railway and the Chasewater Railway.

1004 16Be-Sent1 1906 Sentinel 23GT-Sent-1914 1911 Early Sentinel Steam Wagon Alley & McLellan 1912 Sentinel Standard 1915 Vital-Sentinel1915 1917 Sentinel Steam Bus 1920 0127Com-Sentinel 1920 Sentinel no. 8714 Bus - Martha - KG 1132 at Cumbria 09 1920-56 Sentinel Waggons (Shrewsbury) 1922  0707-p12 1922 0228CM-Sent 1923 EnV136-p019a 1923 EnV136-p020 1923 SEntinel V136-p019 1923 SEntinel V136-p612 1924 EnV137-p284a 1924 sEntinel V137-p284b 1924 Super Sentinel FA1803 1925 EnV139-p432 1925 EnV139-p436 1928 0317CMC-Sent 1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar 1928 Sentinel Steam lorry s-n 7651 1929 0515Loco-Sent 1929 Tarmac liveried Sentinel DG8 1929 v148-p037b 1930 v149-p584 1931-built Sentinel DG4 1933 EnV156-p487 1933 EnV156-p487b 1934 Sentinel S8 steam wagon 'The Shewsbury Flier' 1934 v157-p606 1934-built S4 dropside in steam 1939 Sentinel HSG-Cowieson 1949 03CV-Sent 1949 Sentinel rood 1950 Sentinel STC4, GUJ608 1950 Sentinel STC4 1950 Sentinel STC4-40 with a Sentinel B40F body  zzhaw180 1950 Sentinel STC4-40, GUJ457, with Sentinel B40F body operating for Morgan, Armthorpe (Blue Line) 1950's Sentinel Coach Chassis 1951 0420CM-Seni 1951 0420CM-Senit 1951 0420CM-Sentinel 1951 non-standard Sentinel Midland Red single-decker 4846, HAW578 mr4846 1951 Sentinel Adv 1951 Sentinel Flat Trucks by colinfpickett 1951 Sentinel rechthoekige ramen 1951 Sentinel SLC4 with Beadle body converted from a centre-entrance coach to a front-entrance bus by the operator 1951 Sentinel 1951 Sentinel-Cammell Steam Railcar No 5208 Egypt 1951-built articulated Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar, no. 5208, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre 1954 CMS-Sentinel 1954 Sentinel SLC6 30 with Whitson C40C body zz657cmt 1954 Sentinel 1955 Im20110805PK-c043 1955 Sentinel Duple PXE-761 1955 Sentinel DV 4-6T Tipper 1955 Sentinel SLC6 with Burlingham B44F body 1955 Sentinel SLC6-30 with a Burlingham Seagull C41C bodyzzowu772 1955 Sentinel STC6 1955 Sentinel STC6-44 Sentinel B44F seats 1955 Sentinel-Camplejohn 28-2b.HPTG 1955 Sentinel-SLC6-30-Camplejohn33-d.HPTG 1956 Sentinel S-6 steam truck 1957 1127AE-Sent 1957 Sentinel chain-drive shunter 1959 4wDH (Sentinel 1959) Dunaskin Shed, BCOE 1959 Im2012WESES-Sentinel 1959 Im2012WESES-Sentinel1 1976 1022 'Western Sentinel' at Fairwood Road Junction 2009 Camborne-Sentinel2 2010 Sentinel Shrewsbury0829-Sent2 6820663472_17cd149255 An 0-6-0 outside crank Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works in 2008 At_Rest_-_geograph.org.uk_-_748615 BRS Sentinel DV-1 Flavel's Sentinel DV44 by Mike Jeffries GreatCentralRailwayNeepsendNo.2 images Rolls-Royce Sentinel Cattewater, now at the East Somerset Railway Royal Navy Sentinel Ruthemeyer De Puftukker Sentiel registration WV 4705 Sentinal Cammell Steam Rail Car Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 6515 Isebrook at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Sentinel 0-4-0 No. 9537 Susan at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre Sentinel 4wVBTG at NRM York Sentinel 008SFEC VINTAGE-VEHICLES Sentinel 040 No 6515 Isebrook Sentinel 040 No 9537 Susan Sentinel 69 Sentinel A19 Sentinel A30 Sentinel B009 Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works Sentinel DG4 registration KF 6482 Sentinel DV 6-6 Flatbed lorry Sentinel HAW373 zz Sentinel i163925 Sentinel lorry Sentinel no 7966 Nippy reg UW 2522 at Bloxham 09 Sentinel no 9074 (Proctors Pride) reg BEV 466 Sentinel no. 8122 Tar wagon - OF 5783 at Onslow Park 09 Sentinel no. 8393 - waggon - HMS Sultan Sentinel no. 8448 - UX 8724 at Tinkers Park 2010 Sentinel no. 8945 - RG 4187 at Tinkers Park 2010 Sentinel oneofourdinosaursismissgf5.9652 Sentinel oneofourdinosaursismissqj0.7562 Sentinel queen of the road NHY637 Sentinel Restored Diesel Locomotive - geograph.org.uk - 1059726 Sentinel STC4-Beadle Sentinel STC6 model ytc130cbarnsleyexcamblejohnbros.J.Law_2 SENTINEL STEAM BUS (2) Sentinel Steam Bus atFairford Steam Rally  Nigel Butchers Sentinel Steam Bus Sentinel Steam Loco 7109 August 2013 Sentinel Steam Truck GF 8655 and Foden Steam Wagon Sentinel Steam truck picture Sentinel Steam Truck Tanker sentinel steam waggons vol2 ph13 Sentinel sword Sentinel The Elephant r Sentinel Trucks Sentinel works at Shrewsbury Sentinel SentinelWeb-Large steam-tracks-14

WILLOWBROOK Ltd Coachbuilders Loughborough Leicestershire England UK

1954 Willowbrook ltd Derby Road Loughborough Leicestershire

WILLOWBROOK Ltd.

derby-road-loughborough-leicestershire-england-UK

1954 Willowbrook ltd Derby Road Loughborough Leicestershire 1935 Bedford JU6301 with Willowbrook C25F body 1935 Dennis Lancet with Willowbrook C31F body 1935 Gilford UT7836 A56 coach - The Ellen - Willowbrook body 1935 Leyland TD4 dating with a Willowbrook L27-28R body fitted in 1949 1937 AEC Regal 712, RC4613 Willowbrook B35F body 1937 AEC Regal with Willowbrook B35F body, rebodied by Willowbrook in 1950 1937 AEC Regent with a Weymann body and rebodied in October 1948 by Willowbrook 1938 Bristol K5Gs with ECW L23-24R bodies. It was, along with the others rebodied in 1951 by Willowbrook with the L27-26R body 1938 Daimler COG5 new to Trent and rebodied by Willowbrook in 1943 1939 Albion with Willowbrook C39F body 1939 BMMO SON with a Willowbrook B34F body 1939 Bristol K5G dating which had been rebodied in 1951 with this Willowbrook L27-26R body 1939 Bristol K5G with Willowbrook body 1939 Daimler COG5-40 with Willowbrook C35F body 1939 Leyland Tiger TS8 converted to a tower wagon with a Willowbrook body 1943 Guy Arab II fitted with a Strachan L27-28R body when new in 1943. It was rebodied in 1950 with the Willowbrook L27-26R body 1945 Guy Arab II originally with a utility Park Royal H30-26R body and numbered 41. In 1953 it was rebodied with a Willowbrook H30-26R body 1946 AEC Regal with Willowbrook B34F body 1946 Bristol L5G with Willowbrook body 1946 Willowbrook bodied Daimler CVD6 1947 AEC Regal 752, RC9658, with a Willowbrook B35F body 1947 AEC Regals with Willowbrook B35F bodies which were rebuilt by Willowbrook to FDP39F in 1958 1947 AEC Regent with Willowbrook H30-26R body 1948 AEC Regal with Willowbrook 35 seat half cab front entrance bus 1948 Crossley DD42-5 with a Willowbrook H28-26R body 1948 Daimler CVD6 GYG205 with Willowbrook DP35F body 1948 Leyland Tiger PS1 given a Willowbrook double deck body in 1957 1949 AEC Regal 703, NJO703, has Willowbrook dual purpose 32 seat body 1949 AEC Regal III - Willowbrook body 1949 AEC Regal III with Willowbrook B34F body 1949 Leyland Tiger PS1, originally fitted with a Duple coach body and numbered 560, KAL380, but rebodied in 1957 with a Willowbrook L31-30R body 1949 Willowbrook 1950 AEC Regal III with Crossley gearbox and Willowbrook DP33F body 1950 Daimler CVD6 with Willowbrook B35F body 1950 Leyland Tiger PS1 with Willowbrook body 1950 Willowbrook DP33F bodied Leyland PS2-3 1951 Guy Arab III with Willowbrook FH27-26F body 1951 Leyland PSU1-11 Royal Tiger with a Willowbrook B43F body 1951 Willowbrook C33C bodied Leyland PSU1-11 Royal Tiger 1951 Willowbrook FH27-26F bodied Leyland PS1-4 new in 1951 and named 'Oudenarde' 1952 Willowbrook B44R bodied Atkinson Alpha chassis 1952 Willowbrook C37C bodied A.E.C. 9821S Regal IVs 1952 Willowbrook H32-28R body on a Sunbeam F4 chassis 1953 3-axle Sunbeam S7 with Willowbrook H62D body 1953 AEC 9822S Regal IV with a Willowbrook C41F body 1953 AEC Regal IV with Willowbrook C39C body 1953 Sunbeam F4 with Willowbrook H32-28R body 1953 Willowbrook C37C bodied Leyland Royal Tiger 1954 AEC Regent III with lowbridge Willowbrook bodywork 1954 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2T with Willowbrook C39R body 1954 Sunbeam F4A with Willowbrook H70R body 1954 Willowbrook C41C bodied Daimler D650HS Freeline 1954 Willowbrook ltd Derby Road Loughborough Leicestershire 1955 A.E.C. MU3RV Reliance with a Willowbrook B43F body 1955 Leyland L1 Leopard with Willowbrook B45F body 1955 Sunbeam F4A trolleybus with Willowbrook 70 seat rear entrance bodywork 1955 Sunbeam F4A with a distinctive Willowbrook body 1955 Willowbrook C41F bodied AEC Monocoach 1956 AEC Regent V with Willowbrook body 1956 AEC Reliance MU3RV with Willowbrook DP41F bodywork 1956 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook body 1956 Albion Nimbus MR9N Willowbrook B31F at Didcot Garage 1956 Atkinson BPL745H buses bought by Venture. Like the others this had a Willowbrook body, B45F 1956 Daimler 836, WDH911with willowbrook body 1956 Guy Arab LUFs with Willowbrook C37C bodies 1956 Leyland Tiger Cub with Willowbrook DP41F body 1957 AEC Regent V MD3RV with Willowbrook H32-28R bodywork 1957 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2 with Willowbrook DP41F bodywork. 1957 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2, VTX44, with Willowbrook DP41F body 1957 Leyland Tiger PS1 single deck chassis rebuilt with a Willowbrook L61RD body 1957 Leyland Titan PD2-20 203-BEH Willowbrook L27 28R 1957 Willowbrook B45F bodywork on its Atkinson BPL745H chassis 1957 Willowbrook C37C bodied AEC MU3RV Reliance 1958 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook Viking C41F body 1958 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook Viking C41F bodywork 1958 Albion Aberdonian MR11 with Willowbrook B45F bodywork 1958 Albion Aberdonian MR11N XUP399 with Willowbrook DP41F body 1958 Albion Nimbus NS3AN with Willowbrook B31F bodywork, whilst preserved East Kent EFN568 is a 1950 Dennis Falcon P3 with Dennis B29F bodywork 1958 Albion Nimbus NS3AN with Willowbrook B31F bodywork. 1958 Albion Nimbus NS3N with Willowbrook B31F bodywork 1958 Leyland PD3-4 with Willowbrook H73R body 1958 Leyland Titan PD3-4 with Willowbrook body. 1958 Willowbrook C41F bodied AEC MU3RV Reliance 1959 A E C Reliance 2MU3RV with Willowbrook C37F bodywork 1959 AEC Reliance with 41 seat Willowbrook Viking coach body 1959 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook Viking C41F body 1959 Albion NS3N Nimbus buses with Willowbrook B31F bodies 1959 Leyland PSUC1-2 with Willowbrook Dual Purpose body 1959 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-1 with Willowbrook B45F bodywork 1959 Willowbrook Viking C41F bodied Leyland PSUC1-2 Tiger Cub 1959 Willowbrook Viking C41F bodied Leyland PSUC1-2 Tiger Cubs 1960 AEC Reliance 2MU2RA with Willowbrook B42D body 1960 AEC Reliance 2MU3RA with Willowbrook B45F body 1960 AEC Reliance 2MU3RA with Willowbrook Viscount C41F bodywork. 1960 Daimler CVG6 with a distinctive Willowbrook lowbridge body 1960 Dennis Loline IIYF10 Willowbrook H44-30F 885-LDH 1960 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2 with Willowbrook dual purpose 43 seat body 1961 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook B43F body 1961 Bedford J2SZ7 with a Willowbrook Compact C19F body 1962 Bedford VAS1 with Willowbrook B30F bodywork 1962 Leyland Leopard L2 with Willowbrook body 1962 Leyland Leopard with Willowbrook C47F 1962 Willowbrook B65F bodied AEC Reliance, 858GNM 1962 Willowbrook DP47F bodied Leyland PSU3-3RT Leopard 1963 Leyland Titan PD3A-1 from 1963 with Willowbrook H41-32F bodywork 1963 Willowbrook bodied Leyland Leopard 1964 AEC Regent V 2D3RA with Willowbrook H39-30F body 1964 Bedford VAL with Willowbrook B54F body 1964 Leyland Leopard PSUC1-11 with Willowbrook B45F body OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 1965 Bedford VAS1 with Willowbrook B28F bodywork 1965 Daimler CRG6LX with Willowbrook H44-32F bodywork 1965 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R with Willowbrook B53F bodywork 1965 Willowbrook DP49F bodied Leyland PSU3-1R Leopard 1966 AEC Reliances with Willowbrook B41D bodies 1966 Bedford VAS1 with Willowbrook B24FM bodywork 1966 Daimler Fleetline with Willowbrook single-deck bodywork 1966 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-2 with Willowbrook body 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU3-3R with a Willowbrook B53F body 1967 Bedfod VAS2 with Duple (Midland) B30F bodywork 1967 Bedford VAL70 with Willowbrook B56F bodywork 1967 Bedford VAL70 with Willowbrook body B56F 1967 Leyland L2 Leopard with a Willowbrook B43F body 1967 Willowbrook B45F-bodied Leyland Leopard 1967 Willowbrook DP49F bodied AEC Reliance 1968 A E C Reliance 6MU2RA with Willowbrook B46F bodywork 1968 AEC Regent V with Willowbrook H37-27F body 1968 Bedford SB5 with Willowbrook bodywork 1968 Bedford VAL with Willowbrook B56F body 1968 Bedford VAM70 saloons arrived with Willowbrook B33D+25 bodies 1968 Ford R192s with Willowbrook B45F bodies 1968 Willowbrook DP49F bodied Leyland PSU3A-4RT Leopard OKO816G a 1968 Willowbrook DP49F bodied Leyland PSU3A-4RT Leopard OKO816G 1968 Willowbrook Malta OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 1969 Daimler Fleetline SRG6LW with Willowbrook B44F bodywork 1969 Ford R192 with Willowbrook B45F bodywork a 1969 Ford R192 with Willowbrook B45F bodywork 1969 Leyland Atlantean PDR1A-1 with Willowbrook body 1970 AEC Swift with Willowbrook B43D body 866H 1970 AEC Swift with Willowbrook B43D body 1970 Ford R192  Willowbrook B45F 1971 AEC Reliance with Willowbrook B43F body 1971 AEC Swift with Willowbrook dual door body 1971 Bedford SB5 with Willowbrook DP39F bodywork 1971 Bedford YRQ with Willowbrook B45F bodywork 1971 Ford R192, YNR506J, with locally built Willowbrook bodywork 1971 Leyland Leopard PSU3 with Willowbrook DP49F body 1972 AEC Reliance 6U3ZR with Willowbrook Expressway C49F bodywork 1972 AEC Swift with Willowbrook body 1972 Bedford VAS5 with Willowbrook B16FM bodywork 1972 Bedford VAS-Willowbrook 1972 Ford R192 with Willowbrook C45F 1972 Mercedes-Benz 0302 LHD chassis with a Willowbrook '007' C51D body 1972 Willowbrook B53F-bodied Leyland Leopard PSU3B-2R 1973 Bedford YRT with a Willowbrook '002' Expressway C30FT body 1973 Ford R192 or R1014 with an '002' Expressway body and a Mercedes-Benz 0302 with an '007' body 1973 Ford R1014 with Willowbrook C45F body 1973 Ford Willowbrook PTX987F 1973 Leyland with Willowbrook  B53F 1973 Willowbrook bodied Leyland Atlantean No 50, CUF150L 1974 Bedford YRQ-Willowbrook SCF344N 1974 Leyland Leopard L84, RGV284N, with Willowbrook B55F 1976 A.E.C. 6U3ZL Reliances to National Travel (South East) with Willowbrook C47F bodies 1977 A.E.C. 6U3ZL Reliance with a Willowbrook C47F body Daimler Fleetline SRG6LW with Willowbrook B44F bodywork 704G TDH 901 was a Sunbeam F4A with a Willowbrook H36-34R body

After Willowbrook took over Brush in 1951 Duple took over Willowbrook in the seventies. Look for more under Brush + Duple

WHITSON Coach and Busbodybuilders Yiewsley, West Drayton, Middlesex England UK

Whitson

were not one of the larger coach or bus bodybuilders …Whitsons of Yiewsley, West Drayton, Middlesex

1954 Whitsons of Yiewsley, West Drayton, Middlesex - coachbuilders advert, 1954

1947 Dennis Lancet III with Whitson C33F body

1947-dennis-lancet-iii-with-whitson-c33f-body

1948 Maudslay Marathon III with a Whitson FC33F body lph429

1948-maudslay-marathon-iii-with-a-whitson-fc33f-body-lph429

1949 AEC Regal Whitson observation coach

1949-aec-regal-whitson-observation-coach

1949 Austin K4SL with a Whitson C29F body in 1959

1949-austin-k4sl-with-a-whitson-c29f-body-in-1959

1949 Austin K4SL with a Whitson C29F body

1949-austin-k4sl-with-a-whitson-c29f-body

1949 Crossley SD42 Whitson bodied GDL33 front

1949-crossley-sd42-whitson-bodied-gdl33

1949 Crossley SD42 Whitson bodied GDL33

1949-crossley-sd42-whitson-bodied-gdl33

1949 Crossley SD42-7 with Whitson C33F body

1949-crossley-sd42-whitson-bodied-gdl33

1949 LWE163, was a Whitson C33F bodied Crossley SD42-7 new to Sansam, Sheffield

1949-lwe163-was-a-whitson-c33f-bodied-crossley-sd42-7-new-to-sansam-sheffield

1949 Whitson C29F bodied Austin CXB

1949-whitson-c29f-bodied-austin-cxb

1950 A.E.C. 9621A Regal III with a Whitson FC33F body gbu9

1950-a-e-c-9621a-regal-iii-with-a-whitson-fc33f-body-gbu9

1950 A.E.C. 9821E Regal IV with a Whitson C41C body  lwt147

1950-a-e-c-9821e-regal-iv-with-a-whitson-c41c-body-lwt147

1950 Austin K4SL Whitson

1950-austin-k4sl-with-whitson-c29f-body

1950 Daimler 217 and FNV577, a Leyland Tiger PS2 Whitson bodied, bask in the pouring rain on the bus station

1950-daimler-217-and-fnv577-a-leyland-tiger-ps2-whitson-bodied-bask-in-the-pouring-rain-on-the-bus-station

1950 JAW 334, Foden..Bus Salopia Whitson

1950-jaw-334-foden-bus-salopia-whitson

1950 Leyland PS2 with Whitson body fnv557a

1950-leyland-ps2-with-whitson-body-fnv557

1950 Leyland Tiger PS2 with Whitson FC33F bodywork

1950-leyland-ps2-with-whitson-body-fnv557

1950 MRL865. Austin K4SL-Whitson C29F.

1950-mrl865-austin-k4sl-whitson-c29f

1950 N969 USAF Whitson Observation Coach

1950-n969-usaf-foden-whitson-observation-coach

1950 PVSC4-Whitson-HustwittCollect 2

1950-pvsc4-foden-whitson-hustwitt collect-2

1950 Whitson bodied Leyland Tiger PS2-3 FNV 557

1950-leyland-ps2-with-whitson-body-fnv557

1951 AEC RegalIV-Whitson-R.Simpson

1951-aec-regaliv-whitson-r-simpson-observation coach

1952 Chiltern Queens, Woodcote NPA462 Albion Victor Whitson FC31F at Woodcote Garage

1952-chiltern-queens-woodcote-npa462-albion-victor-whitson-fc31f-at-woodcote-garage

1952 Foden PVRF6 Whitson C39C KWU-24a

1952-foden-pvrf6-whitson-c39c-kwu-24

1952 Foden PVRF6 Whitson C39C KWU-24b

1952-foden-pvrf6-whitson-c39c-kwu-24

1952 NPA462 Albion Victor Whitson FC31F in Woodcote Garage

1952-npa462-albion-victor-whitson-fc31f-in-woodcote-garage

1953 Marshall, Bradford LWT149 AEC Regal IV Whitson C41C

1953-marshall-bradford-lwt149-aec-regal-iv-whitson-c41c

1953-Foden-PVSC6-EWH-195-Whitson-RC35C

1953-foden-pvsc6-ewh-195-whitson-rc35c-observation-coach

1954 AEC Regal IV Whitson

1954-aec-regal-iv-whitson

1954 Sentinel SLC6-30 with Whitson C40C body

1954-sentinel-slc6-30-with-whitson-c40c-body

1954 Whitsons of Yiewsley, West Drayton, Middlesex - coachbuilders advert, 1954 1955 Commer T85A Avenger III, MAW627, with a Whitson C41F body maw627

1955-commer-t85a-avenger-iii-maw627-with-a-whitson-c41f-body-maw627

1955 KWU24, Whitson C36C-bodied rear-engined Foden, outside the owner's garage in Wix, Essex, with Walsall-registered OB NDH663 lurking inside.

1955-kwu24-whitson-c36c-bodied-rear-engined-foden-outside-the-owners-garage-in-wix-essex-with-walsall-registered-ob-ndh663-lurking-inside © MJ Fisher

1955 Whitson bodied Austin Walsall

1955-whitson-bodied-austin-walsall

That’s all

SENTINEL Buses, Locomotiv’s and Trucks Glasgow Scotland+ Shrewsbury England UK

  Sentinel   Sentinel sword

Sentinel The Elephant r Sentinel stoomwagen uit 1924
Sentinel DG4 registration KF 6482
1931  Sentinel truck type DG4
Ruthemeyer De Puftukker
Sentinel truck uit Duits stoom musea
008SFEC VINTAGE-VEHICLES

Sentinel was een vrachtwagenmerk uit Engeland, Schotland.

Oprichting

Sentinel werd opgericht in 1906 in Glasgow. Het eerste type vrachtwagen was een stoomwagen met kettingaandrijving en vijf ton laadvermogen. Deze wagen was zo’n succes dat hij zonder wijzigingen tot 1923 in productie bleef. In datzelfde jaar opende Sentinel ook een tweede fabriek in Shrewsbury.

Modellen

Sentinel stond bekend om modellen van hoge kwaliteit en voorzien van de nieuwste technische snufjes van die tijd. Sentinel ging pas vrij laat in vergelijking met andere fabrieken, na een financiële dip in 1934, over op het gebruik van diesel– of benzinemotoren in plaats van stoommotoren.

Super

In 1920 bracht Sentinel een revolutionaire wagen uit genaamd “Super”. Dit was een vrachtwagen met krukasdifferentieel, dubbele kettingaandrijving en twee versnellingen, iets dat nog zeer uniek was in die tijd. Door de tweede versnelling kon hij goed snelheid maken op zowel heuvelachtig als vlak terrein. Deze auto had een laadvermogen van zeven ton.

DG

Sinds 1923 kwam Sentinel met de DG-serie. Deze serie had de mogelijkheid om een aanhanger toe te voegen, en was ook in een drie- en vierasuitvoering verkrijgbaar. Dit voertuigtype stond bekend als de meest efficiënte stoomwagen uit de jaren twintig.

S-type

Vanaf 1934 begon Sentinel gebruik te maken van dieselmotoren. In de S-type werd een viercilinderdieselmotor geplaatst die de vrachtwagen via de achteras aandreef. Dit model was leverbaar in een vier-, zes- en achtwieleruitvoering, er wordt dan ook gesproken over de S4, S6 of de S8.

DV

De DV-serie werd vanaf 1948 op de markt gebracht. Het was een type lichte bakwagen met twee of drie assen. Het opmerkelijke was dat deze vrachtwagen drie zitplaatsen had en een benzinemotor in plaats van een diesel.

Overname

Ondanks de goede verkoopcijfers besloot de raad van bestuur in 1956 de fabrieken te verkopen aan Rolls-Royce, dat de fabrieken uiteindelijk in 1957 sloot. Sommige Sentineldealers besloten verder te gaan. Deze gebruikten daarvoor de naam TVW Sentinel (Transport, Vehicles Warrington) en dit samenwerkingsverband verzorgde nog enkele jaren het onderhoud voor de Sentinel wagens. Er zijn echter geen nieuwe modellen meer gemaakt.

Museum

Hoewel de meeste modellen van Sentinel in musea staan is het bekend dat in Argentinië nog dagelijks enkele honderden Sentinel Super vrachtwagens hun werk doen, dit mede doordat de levensduur van de wagens door hun duurzaamheid zeer hoog is.

Sentinel Waggon Works

Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd
Former type Ltd
Industry Engineering
Fate Taken over
Predecessors Alley & MacLellan
Successors Rolls-Royce Limited
Founded 1906
Defunct 1956 ?
Headquarters Shrewsbury
Products Steam Lorries
Railway Locomotives,
Diesel Lorries
1920 Sentinel no. 8714 Bus - Martha - KG 1132 at Cumbria 09Sentinel Steam powered coach

A Sentinel Steam Bus
1924-Super-Sentinel
 1924 Super Sentinel FA1803

Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd was a British company based in Shrewsbury, Shropshire that made steam-powered lorries, railway locomotives, and later, diesel engined lorries and locomotives.

History

Alley & MacLellan, Sentinel Works, Jessie Street Glasgow

The company began life about 1875 as Alley & MacLellan based in Polmadie, Glasgow. They moved from Polmadie Road to the nearby Jessie Street where they continued in operation until the 1950s. Alley & MacLellan began producing steam road vehicles in 1906 when they introduced a 5 ton vertical-boiler wagon, which featured a 2-cylinder undertype engine and chain drive. Around 1915 Alley & McLellan moved the steam wagon production to a new factory in England and it continued under a separate company (see below). However, Alley & MacLellan continued to operate in the original Sentinel Works in Jessie Street, Glasgow until the 1950s. They produced a wide range of engineering products including compressors, valves, etc. The ‘Sentinel’ name continued to be used for the products of the original Glasgow works until the mid 20th Century.

1906 Sentinel 23GT-Sent-1914

1906 Sentinel 23GT-Sent-1914

Perhaps the most surprising fact is that the Sentinel Works in Glasgow, though a significant distance from the River Clyde, produced almost 500 small ships and boats. The vast majority of these vessels were built as ‘knock downs’ – i.e. assembled at the Jessie Street works using nuts and bolts, then dismantled and shipped as parts in crates to their client destination where they were re-assembled using rivets. At least one Alley & McLellan ship still exists – the motor vessel (originally steam ship) Chauncy Maples built at Jessie Street in 1899 and reassembled on Lake Nyasa (now Lake Malawi) in 1901. Alley & MacLellan continued in operation, though owned firstly by Glenfield & Kennedy, Kilmarnock, then G & J Weir, Glasgow, until the 1950s.

1911 Early Sentinel Steam Wagon Alley & McLellan

1911 Early Sentinel Steam Wagon Alley & McLellan

The original Sentinel Works in Jessie Street, Glasgow is still in existence in 2009 though now in a very derelict condition. The design offices and pattern shop is listed category A as a building of significant national importance. It was the first steel-reinforced concrete building in Scotland.

Move to Shrewsbury

1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam rail-car (CJ Allen, Steel Highway)

1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar

A new company Sentinel Waggon Works Ltd was formed when steam wagon production was switched to a new factory, opened at Shrewsbury in 1915. There were several other slight changes to the name over the company’s lifetime when further infusions of working capital were required to obviate financial problems.

1912 Sentinel Standard

1912 Sentinel Standard

Alley & MacLellan’s early wagon was so successful that it remained in production with relatively few updates until the launch of Sentinel’s famous Super in 1923. The company also produced steam railway locomotives and railcars, for railway companies and industrial customers.

1915 1946Vital-Sentinel1915

1915 1946Vital-Sentinel

In 1917, the company was bought by William Beardmore & Co., Ltd.

Sentinel Waggon Works (1920) Ltd

In 1920, after financial problems, the company was reorganised as Sentinel Waggon Works (1920) Ltd. The Sentinel ‘Super’ model that followed in 1923 was assembled in a radical new plant at Shrewsbury, with a flow line based on Henry Ford’s Model T factory at Highland Park, Michigan, with 1,550 vehicles produced.

1917 Sentinel Steam Bus

1917 Sentinel Steam Bus

Sentinel, along with Foden, dominated the steam market, but the 1930s saw the demise of both companies’ ranges as new legislation forced the development of lighter lorries, Sentinel surviving the longest.

1920 0127Com-Sentinel

1920 0127Com-Sentinel

In 1934 Sentinel launched a new and advanced steamer – the S type which had a single-acting 4-cylinder underfloor engine with longitudinal crankshaft and an overhead worm-drive axle. Their Sentinel Waggon Works’ design of 1935 led to the production of 3,750 Sentinel ‘Standards’ in the seventeen years that followed, the biggest selling steam lorry ever. It was lighter and featured a modernised driver’s cab with a set-back boiler and was available in four, six and eight-wheel form, designated S4, S6 and S8. In spite of its sophisticated design, however, it could not compete with contemporary diesel trucks for all-round convenience and payload capacity, and was phased out in the late 1930s. It was not the end of Sentinel’s involvement with steam, however; the company built about 100 “S” type vehicles for export to Argentina as late as 1950, for use by the Río Turbio coal mine. It has been stated that Sentinel were never paid for the last batch of the Río Turbio production run. At least two of the Río Turbio waggons survive in Argentina to this day.

1920 Sentinel no. 8714 Bus - Martha - KG 1132 at Cumbria 09

1920 Sentinel no. 8714 Bus – Martha – KG 1132 at Cumbria 09

In 1946 Thomas Hill’s signed an agency agreement with Sentinel for repair and maintenance of diesel vehicles. In 1947 Sentinel offered to extend the agreement for diesel vehicles to include the steam locomotives and an agency was accepted by Thomas Hill for sales and servicing.

Sentinel (Shrewsbury) Ltd

In 1947 the company became Sentinel (Shrewsbury) Ltd, and had developed a new range of diesel lorries. Despite Sentinel’s superbly engineered vehicles, sales diminished throughout the 1950s, and by 1956 the company was forced to cease lorry production. The factory was acquired by Rolls-Royce for diesel engine production, and the remaining stock of parts and vehicles was taken over by Sentinel’s chief dealer, North Cheshire Motors Ltd of Warrington, who formed a new company, Transport Vehicles (Warrington) Ltd, in 1957 to produce Sentinel-based designs under the TVW name.

1920-56 Sentinel Waggons (Shrewsbury)

1920-56 Sentinel Waggons (Shrewsbury)

In 1963 Thomas Hill’s decided to renew the loco agreement and relinquish the diesel vehicle agency, concentrating all efforts on the steam locomotive work.

Rolls-Royce agree to build diesel locomotives

Sentinel Restored Diesel Locomotive - geograph.org.uk - 1059726

Rolls-Royce Sentinel Cattewater, now at the East Somerset Railway
Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works
 An 0-6-0 outside crank Sentinel Derwent at Lafarge Hope Cement Works in 2008.

Despite the various interesting developments, Rolls Royce did not consider railway locomotives to be part of their core business. They had agreed to complete all steam locos on order, and four steam receiver locos ordered by Dorman Long in 1956, but only after much consideration did Rolls-Royce finally agree at the end of 1957 to design and build a diesel locomotive of similar weight and power to the 200 hp (150 kW) steam loco that had sold so well. Thomas Hill’s would assist in the design and development of these diesel machines and would be the Sole distributor.

Last steam locomotives

In 1958 the last two Sentinel steam locos were delivered marking the end of an era. Two of the newly developed steam receiver locos were delivered and proved very satisfactory in service, but Dorman Long were not happy. There had been a change of heart among their engineers as well as a change of circumstances, and they were now favouring diesel locomotives. The last two steam receiver locos were built but never delivered and ultimately all four were converted to diesel hydraulic.

Diesel production commences

The prototype Sentinel diesel locomotive was built and ready to commence trials on the former Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Railway (then under military control) early in 1959. It met with the approval and enthusiasm of the Company’s prospective customers and before the end of the year 17 locomotives had been sold and delivered. The company was ready to produce a maximum of four locomotives a month.

1923 SEntinel V136-p019

By 1963 four different Sentinel diesel models were being produced, commencing with the 34 ton chain drive 0-4-0 powered by the Rolls-Royce C6SFLsix-cylinder engine of 233 bhp (174 kW) (gross) (later uprated to 255 bhp (190 kW)). This was followed within a year by a 48 ton 0-6-0 rod coupled machine, fitted with a Rolls-Royce C8SFL eight-cylinder engine of 311 bhp (232 kW) (gross) (later uprated to 325 bhp (242 kW)). Between 1963 and 1966 a fleet of these diesel locomotives, eventually numbering five 0-6-0s and 18 0-4-0s, was supplied to the Manchester Ship Canal Company for use on the navigation’s private railway network.

1923 SEntinel V136-p612

These Sentinels demonstrated their suitability for heavy work, but heavier and more powerful locos were called for, particularly by the steel industry, and before the end of 1963 a 74 ton 0-8-0 powered by 2 x C8SFL engines and a 40 ton 0-4-0 fitted with a C8SFL engine had been added to the range.

Sentinel Steelman

A shaft drive 600 hp (450 kW) 0-6-0 machine was now being developed at Shrewsbury to use the new DV8T engine. Considerable interest in this loco was expressed by Stewart and Lloyds mineral division at Corby who were operating more than 20 steam locos, mainly of the Austerity type. This new locomotive Steelman was eventually delivered to Corby in late 1967, about two years overdue. The prototype locomotive proved satisfactory and three more were ordered by Stewart and Lloyds and one by Richard Thomas and Baldwins, Scunthorpe. With Stewart and Lloyds’ programme to replace more than 20 steam locos over the next few years the future for Steelman looked good.

1924 sEntinel V137-p284b

1924 sEntinel V137-p284b

Unfortunately for the Company and Rolls-Royce, British Railways, seeing a potential for their Swindon-built class 14 diesel hydraulic locomotives made Stewart and Lloyds an offer of 26 locomotives around three years old at a fraction of their original cost. The Class 14 locomotive had proved rather a white elephant for B.R. but powered by a 650 hp (480 kW) Paxman, Voith Transmission, a rod coupled 0-6-0 capable of doing the work required, it was an offer that Stewart and Lloyds could hardly refuse. New locomotive sales were declining anyway, and the release of such locos onto the industrial market at such prices was disastrous, and regrettably no further “Steelman” locos were built at Shrewsbury.

1924-Super-Sentinel

1924-Super-Sentinel

This was not to be the end of the Steelman. Some 12 years later ICI Billingham wanted two heavy locomotives to replace their ageing Yorkshire Janus locomotives. Their stated wish was to buy the best and most up to date equipment available and in their efforts to achieve this aim, their engineers visited many industrial sites, and steelworks in particular. Their requirements were discussed with all UK locomotive manufacturers, and the final outcome of their investigations was an order for an updated version of the “Sentinel Steelman locomotive”. This order was subsequently increased to two machines which were delivered toward the end of 1981.

1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam rail-car (CJ Allen, Steel Highway)

1928 LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam rail-car (CJ Allen, Steel Highway)

UK sales of Sentinel locos were now fewer than 10 per year, their only overseas success had been to license the assembly of 36 0-6-0 locomotives by Sorefame for the Portuguese Railways in 1965/6. These locomotives became the CP Class 1150.

Road vehicles

Sentiel registration WV 4705

 Preserved 1934-built S4 dropside in steam

Steam waggons

Diesel lorries

  • Sentinel DV44 (1947)
  • Sentinel DV46
  • Sentinel DV66 (1952)
  • Sentinel aircraft tug

Diesel buses

  • Sentinel STC6-44seat

Railway vehicles

Sentinel 4wVBTG at NRM York

 Sentinel chain-drive shunter of 1957

The locomotives and railcars (with a few exceptions) used the standard steam lorry boilers and engine units.

CE Class

Centre Engine

BE Class

Balanced Engine

DE Class

Double Engine

100 hp Steam Locomotives

200 hp Steam Locomotives

Railcars

Sentinel-Cammell Steam Railcar No 5208 g

1951-built articulated Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar, no. 5208, at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
  • In 1928 Palestine Railways bought two Sentinel-Cammell articulated steam railcars for local services. Each unit had two cars articulated over three bogies. Palestine Railways found the railcar format inflexible, as if passenger numbers exceeded the capacity of a train it was not practical to couple up an extra coach. In 1945 PR removed the Sentinel engines and converted the railcars to ordinary coaching stock.
  • In 1933 the Southern Railway bought a Sentinel-Cammell steam railcar for use on the Devil’s Dyke branch, in East Sussex. Although operationally successful, the single railcar was not large enough to meet the needs of this line. It was transferred away from the line in March 1936 and tried in other areas, but was withdrawn in 1940.