Carrozzeria Orlandi (Modena)
1919 Fiat 501 Berlina bodied by Orlandi
Soon, it was necessary to find better accommodation, compared to the original porch of Villa Aldrovandi, moving in the contiguous Bazzano, in a more spacious and suitable place.
In 1881 Angelo Orlandi moved to the city of Modena, on the Via Emilia Est, where he was immediately appreciated for the quality and degree of finish of carriages and landau products. In the following year the city walls were torn down, which brought about a flourishing season of development for public transport, with new tramways steam and animal traction.
The orders increased and the company was able to realize a building specially designed for his needs, even turning on a branch town for the furnishing of horse-drawn omnibus.
The interest of the children of Angelo Orlandi, Augustus, Henry and John, to the new mechanical and motoring led to the construction, in 1899, the first Italian bus on chassis Bonacini , with engine Bolide 20 hp .
Produced in different specimens, the bus captured the gold medal at the Milan International Automotive of 1901, and in September of the same year, was the protagonist of the first experimental use of a means of motor transport in the military during the maneuvers carried out by the Brigade Piacenza, completing the 110 km stretch of Collecchio – Passo della Cisa, carrying nine soldiers and their baggage tactical.
Since the death of Angelo Orlandi, which occurred in 1907, the body was run by his three sons who, in the same year, the company moved into a new place of greater amplitude, near Ferrari theme park.
The disappearance of Henry Augustus and then, in 1921, was the cause of discord between the heirs and the “Body Angelo Orlandi” was divided into “Body Giovanni Orlandi” and “Body Emiliana Renzo Orlandi”, the latter addressed to the son of Henry . For some years the two companies operated in a competitive environment.
Bodywork Giovanni Orlandi
The “Body Giovanni Orlandi” was quickly sold by the heirs to the foundry Vismara, who transformed it into “Officine Padane”, with the same production.
Bodywork Emiliana Renzo Orlandi
The Second World War saw a strong recovery of the business, together with the need to provide collective transport, then decreased with the increasing mass motorization since the early sixties . The production was directed mainly on tourist buses under the guidance of Renzo Orlandi and son Angelo, great-grandson of the founder Angelo Orlandi, who continued the business. Angel, an engineering graduate, has for years been the owner and CEO of Carrozzeria Orlandi.
Over the years the Carrozzeria Orlandi won prestigious awards such as the Golden Rose of San Remo, the Grand Prize of Excellence of Nice and the latest Compasso d’Oro in 1979 with the Model 371 Iveco space, designed by Isao Hosoe. Subsequently Orlandi made the first buses in Italy with plant d’ air conditioning and, shortly after, the first vehicle with large windows and panoramic views.
In 1964 the company was moved to its present location which allowed the development of the activity. In those years, were born the first vehicles mast tilted, subsequently, in 1970, was presented to the body Meteor .
In 1972 it was decided to sell a majority stake to Fiat: the production was increased, especially the tourist vehicles, and modernized the plant. In 1988, also gave the remaining 30%, allowing the incorporation of the brand to ‘ IVECO . In recent years they have been produced in hundreds of specimens of different models of car bodies, among which include Space, Poker and Domino among the most significant ones.
Models bodied by Carrozzeria Emiliana Renzo Orlandi
FIAT 314-2 Orlandi l Fiat 314
3x FIAT 343 Orlandi I Fiat 343
1976 Autobus Fiat 343 L Carrozzato ORLANDI modello SAROS
IVECO FIAT315 8 18 ORLANDI suburban bus Iveco 315
iveco 370-12-30 pokerorlandi Iveco 370
IVECO 391.12.29 EURORIDER ORLANDI della TEMPi Iveco 391 Orlandi Domino, touring
397 Irisbus Domino Gts Orlandi, coaches
1936 Fiat 635 RNL Orlandi. Fiat 635
Fiat 635 RNL Orlandi
1957 FIAT 642 Orlandi
1956 e 1958 Fiat 642 Orlandi SA 28158 – SA 31949. Fiat 642 Orlandi
1956 FIAT 682RN carrozado por Carrozzeria Orlandi
Fiat 682-M Carrozzato dalla Ditta Orlandi. Fiat 682.
1939 Lancia 3 RO bus orlandi ?Lancia 3 RO P3.
1955 Lancia Esatau Renzo Orlandi Bus
Lancia Esatau P Orlandi I
Esatau V 11.
Lancia 715 Esagamma
1932 Spa carrozzeria Renzo orlandi anni ’30
1938 OM CPO carrozzeria Renzo Orlandi
1959 OM Orione 500 Renzo Orlandi
1962 Semirimorchio Orlandi Astore con motrice Fiat anni ’60
1964 Lancia 703.01 Orlandi stefer
1968 Orlandi FIAT
1970 Orlandi-Fiat Meteor
Miani e Silvestri&C-A.Grondona Comi&C
|Fate||absorbed (as part of the Fiat Group) into IVECO.|
|Headquarters||Milan, Italy (HQ)
Brescia, Italy (Automotive)
Railroad locomotives and equipment (Milan)
Cars and Sports Cars (Brescia, before 1934)
Commercial Vehicles (Brescia, 1925)
Officine Meccaniche or OM was an Italian car and truck manufacturing company, founded in 1918 in Milan as Societa Anonima Officine Meccaniche. It disappeared as such in 1975 subsumed into Iveco, but still exist as a forklift builder.
The inception of the company had resulted from the merger of two companies, Grondona Comi & C and Miani Silvestri & C.
Originally, OM manufactured railway stock. Car production started in 1918, using the plant of the former Brixia-Zust (Brixia-Züst), just after OM took over Zust car company of Brescia, Northern Italy. The first OM car, Tipo S305, primarily an old Zust model, appeared in 1918 with a 4712 cc four-cylinder side-valve in-line engine.
The OM cars era
Further models were Tipo 465 (with a 1327 cc four) in 1919, Tipo 467 (1410cc) and Tipo 469 (1496cc) in 1921. 1923 saw an all new model, Tipo 665 ‘Superba’ with a 2-litre six-cylinder engine. This model was extremely successful in racing – won top five positions in the 2-litre class in 1925 and 1926 at Le Mans but the greatest achievement was the victory in the first Mille Miglia race in 1927 where Ferdinando Minoia and Giuseppe Morandi lead home an O.M. ‘123’ at average speed of 48.27 miles per hour (77.7 km/h) for 21 hours 4 minutes 48seconds. Some cars were equipped with Roots superchargers.
In 1925 OM began to build trucks and buses, using licensed Swiss Saurer engines and other mechanical components. Ties with Saurer persisted all along OM life.
Fiat take-over and post-war years
OM was taken over by the Fiat Group in 1938 and in the following year passenger car production ceased, and OM became a commercial vehicle and train part manufacturer.
1955 OM Leoncino Bartoletti GT Bus
Main new product in the WWII post-war era was the Leoncino (1950) a light truck in the 2.0 to 2.5 tons range, which was an immediate success. It became the forefather of several series of heavier but structurally similar models, namely Tigrotto, Tigre, Lupetto, Cerbiatto and Daino, launched between 1957 and 1964. Bus chassis versions of several of these models were also available.
The end of OM
In 1968 OM was definitively merged into the Fiat Group as a brand belonging to the Commercial Vehicles division, which also included Fiat and Unic.