Abadal – Imperia – Buick

Abadal

1917 Imperial Abadal

The Imperia-Abadal model was manufactured by Imperia under Abadal license

Abadal Vehicles

The Abadal was a Spanish car manufactured between 1912 and 1923, named after Francisco Abadal. Considered a fast luxury car, it was closely patterned on the Hispano-Suiza and offered in two models. One had a 3104 cc four-cylinder engine while the other had a 4521 cc six-cylinder engine.

Soon after the inception of the Abadal line, the Belgian company Impéria began building Abadals under license as Impéria-Abadals. In 1916 Abadal acquired the Buick agency, and Barcelona-built Abadals after that year had Buick power units and featured custom coachwork. These cars were called “Abadal-Buicks”. M. A. Van Roggen (formerly of Springuel) took over the Belgian operation soon after, and built around 170 more Impéria-Abadals. Among the models produced were a 2992cc 16-valve four-cylinder OHC sports model and three prototype 5630 cc straight-eights. The company ceased automobile production in 1923.

Francisco Abadal (nicknamed Paco) was a Hispano-Suiza salesman and racing driver in Barcelona. He began this enterprise in 1912, and upon its cessation became an agent of General Motors in Spain. General Motors’ plans in 1930 related to a prototype named the Abadal Continental never materialised.

Abadal Y-12 aero-engine

Abadal also produced the Abadal Y-12 aero-engine, a multiple bank in-line engine with twelve cylinders in three banks of four arranged in a Y.

References

  1. Jump up^ Burgess Wise, David (1979). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Automobiles. London: New Burlington Books. ISBN0 906286 16 6.

Imperia Automobiles

  (Redirected from Imperia (car))


Impéria Automobiles
 was a Belgian automobile factory, active from 1906 until 1948. The factory in Nessonvaux, Liège, Belgium, had a rooftop test track since 1928.

1932 Imperia 7-25 CV berline

Imperia 7-25 CV from 1932

History

1938 Imperia

Imperia TA-9 BS 1938
1948 Imperia TA-8 Sport fl3q

1948 Imperia TA-8 Sport
Imperia Standard Vanguard Convertible (16519977122)

Standard Vanguard convertible built by Imperia

Impéria was a Belgian automobile manufactured from 1906 until 1948. Products of the Ateliers Piedboeuf of Liège, the first cars were designed by the German Paul Henze. These were four-cylinders of 3, 4.9, and 9.9 litres. The next year, the company moved to Nessonvaux, Trooz municipality, and began production in the old Pieper factory. Impéria produced a monobloc 12 hp (8.9 kW) in 1909. In 1910, the company merged with Springuel.

The Nessonvaux factory began producing Impéria-Abadals from about 1916. In 1921, it built three ohc 5.6-litre straight-eights. These were quickly replaced by an ephemeral ohc 3-litre 32-valve four-cylinder which had a top speed of 90 mph (140 km/h). This was followed by an 1100 cc slide-valve 11/22 hp four designed by Couchard, one of the first cars ever built with a sunroof. Its engine rotated counterclockwise, and its transmission brake also served as a servo for those on the front wheels. In 1927 a six-cylinder of 1624 cc appeared; this had been available in three-carburettor Super Sports form from 1930.

In 1925, the company hired Louis de Monge as chief research engineer. Some of his work included torsion bar suspension and automatic transmissions. De Monge left in 1937 to join Bugatti, where he would design the Bugatti 100P racer plane.

Around and on top of the factory buildings, there was a test track over 1 km long. The track was built in 1928. The only other rooftop test tracks were on Fiat’s Lingotto plant, opened in 1923, and Palacio Chrysler in Buenos Aires, opened in 1928.

Over the course of four years, Impéria took over three other Belgian car manufacturers: Métallurgique (1927), Excelsior (1929), and Nagant (1931). From 1934 until the company folded it built mainly front-wheel-drive Adlers with Belgian-made coachwork. The company merged with Minerva in 1934, but they split in 1939.

In addition to its production in Belgium, Impéria made a number of cars in Great Britain; these were assembled at a factory in Maidenhead.

From 1947 to 1949 Impéria built its last model TA-8 which combined an Adler Trumpf Junior-type chassis with an engine originally intended for the Amilcar Compound.

After 1948 Impéria assembled Standard Vanguards under license and also built a unique convertible version. After Standard decided to set up a new factory in Belgium, the factory was left without work and had to close doors in 1957.

081012-Imperia-Nessonvaux-piste

Imperia Nessonvaux piste

In popular culture

In Michael Chabon‘s 2004 novel The Final Solution, set in 1944, the Anglican vicar drives a Belgian Impéria.

2009 revival

The Imperia GP was going to be sold in 2013. The car was designed by Denis Stevens. The Imperia GP roadster would have had PowerHybrid motorization technology developed by Green Propulsion.

Pictures from my collection:

 

References

  1. Jump up^ Pegasus, newsletter of the Bugatti Association, issue 23
  2. Jump up^ “Trooz (Municipality, Province of Liège, Belgium)”. 12 January 2010.
  3. Jump up^ “Testing cars on the factory rooftop – Imperia (Nessonvaux, Liège, Belgium)”. 21 April 2009.
  4. Jump up^ Ritzinger, André. “Imperia TA-8”http://www.ritzsite.nl. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
  5. Jump up^ The Final Solution, pp. 87, 88.
  6. Jump up^ “Imperia Automobiles”. Imperia-auto.be. Retrieved 19 July 2009.

David Burgess Wise, The New Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Automobile

External links

History of the company (in French)

Site with pictures

Imperia

Green Propulsion

Brothers Emile + Léon NAGANT Liège Belgium 1859-1931

Nagant

Emblem_Nagant

Fabrique d’armes Émile et Léon Nagant (Nagant)
Former type Private
Industry firearms
Fate Acquired
Founded 1859 in LiègeBelgium
Founder(s) Émile Nagant, Léon Nagant
Defunct 1931
Headquarters LiègeBelgium
Area served Worldwide
Products firearms
Parent Impéria
References: Major contributors to the design of the Mosin-Nagant service rifle by Russia and then by the USSR
1910 Nagant Phaeton

Nagant Phaeton 1910

The firm Fabrique d’armes Émile et Léon Nagant was established in 1859 in LiègeBelgium, to manufacture firearms.

Émile (born 1830) and Léon (born 1833) Nagant were brothers, and probably best known for their important contributions to the design of the Mosin-Nagant Russian service rifle, adopted in 1891. This introduction to the Tsar‘s military administration led to the adoption, in 1895, of the Nagant M1895 revolver as their standard-issue sidearm. By this time, Émile’s progressive blindness had led to his withdrawal from the firm which had been renamed “L. Nagant & Cie, Liège.”

1900 Nagant-Gobron 14-15 CV Type C Victoria fl3q1900 Nagant-Gobron 14-15 CV Type C Victoria fl3q

Car manufacture

Later, the firm moved to the manufacture of automobiles; Nagant made cars under licence of the French firm Rochet-Schneider. Nagant cars were made from 1900 to 1927 or 1928. The firm was taken over by Impéria in 1931.

1907 Nagant Monte Carlo 1907 Nagant 1907 nagant_1907

1907 Nagant Monte Carlo

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1909 Nagant Type D 14slash16-HP

1910 Nagant b1910 Nagant

1914 Rochet-Schneider

1914 Rochet-Schneider

???????????????????????????????

1918-nagant-four-cylinder-berline

1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles a
1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles c

1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles b1

1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles b2 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles d 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles e1 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles e2 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles f1 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles f2 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles g1 1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles g2

1921 Autosalon de Bruxelles 1921 nagant sport 21 1923 Nagant 1932 Imperia 7 25hp 4cyl 1900cc Nagant with D'leteren bodywork is a sports tourer 1933 Minerva 6 cyl. — Schaerbeek Fire Brigade imperia-fabriek Logo Nagant Nagant nagant_logo oldtimer-nagant-liege