MCW (Metro Cammell Weymann) Buses + Metrobus

Metro Cammell Weymann03Travel West Midlands MkII Metrobuses seen in Dudley.

002 S3M-B1

3-axle Metro Cammell WeymannSuper Metrobus (11 m) owned byKowloon Motor Bus in Hong Kong.
003 Yorkshire_Traction_MCW_Metroliner

A double deck Metroliner 400GT with Yorkshire Traction, with a Megabusvehicle behind it

Metro Cammell Weymann (MCW) was once a major player in transportation manufacturing in the UK and Europe. It was formed in 1932 by Weymann Motor Bodies Ltd and Metro Cammell‘s bus bodybuilding division to produce bus bodies.

MCW bus bodies were built in Metro-Cammell’s and Weymann’s factories until 1966 when Weymann’s factory in Addlestone was closed (the Metro-Cammell and Weymann brand names were dropped in the same year). From 1977 MCW also built bus chassis.

In 1989 the Laird group decided to sell its bus and rail divisions. No buyer for the complete group could be found so each product was sold separately. The Metrorider was bought by Optare who relaunched it as the MetroRider; the Metrobus design was bought by DAF(chassis) and Optare (body), who jointly reworked it into the Optare Spectra. The Metroliner design was acquired by Optare though not pursued. The Metrocab was bought by Reliant. Metro-Cammell’s rail division and the Washwood Heath factory went to GEC Alsthom (now Alstom)

Bodies

  • London Transport RLH
  • Orion series
  • London Transport’s DMS body built in partnership with Park Royal throughout the 1970s.
  • West Midland PTE’s standard bus body in the 1970s on both the Daimler/Leyland Fleetline (again built in partnership with Park Royal) and theBristol VR.
  • A generic double deck body range built in the 1970s on Leyland Atlantean and Daimler Fleetline chassis with notable customers being Liverpool Corporation and Tyne & Wear PTE.

Chassis/Complete buses

  • Metroliner – single and double deck coach
    • Metroliner – Semi-integral 4.23 m high double deck coach
    • Metroliner 400GT – integral 4 m high double deck coach
    • Metroliner – Semi-integral 3.2 m high single deck coach
    • Metro Hiliner – Integral 3.4 m high single deck coach

Others

MCW Metrobus

MCW Metrobus
01

Preserved West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive MCW Metrobus Mk1 in May 2013
02

Arriva Buses Wales Metrobus Lower Saloon Interior
Overview
Manufacturer Metro Cammell Weymann
Body and chassis
Doors 1 to 3
Floor type Step entrance
Powertrain
Engine Gardner 6LXB Gardner 6LXCT Gardner 6LXDT Rolls-Royce Eagle 220 Mk III Cummins LT10 Cummins LTA10-B282
Transmission Voith DIWA851 Voith DIWA851.2 Voith DIWA854 Voith DIWA864G Maxwell
Dimensions
Length 9.7m, 11.0m, 11.3m or 12.0m
Width 2.5m

The MCW Metrobus is a double decker bus model manufactured by Metro Cammell Weymann (MCW) between 1977 and 1989, with over 4,000 examples built. The original MkI model was superseded by the MkII model (which had a symmetrical windscreen) in 1981, although production of the original MkI continued for London Transport until 1985. The Metrobus was conceived as an integral product manufactured completely by MCW, but Alexander and Northern Counties also bodied some examples.

MCW planned to produce a single deck version but this was not to come into production.

United Kingdom

03

Travel West Midlands Metrobuses Mk11s in Dudley in April 2006
04

Preserved Northern General Transport Company Metrobus MkII in May 2009

In the United Kingdom, the Metrobus was mainly used in the metropolitan areas, especially London and the West Midlands.

London

London Transport purchased 1,440 MkI examples between 1978 and 1985, numbering them M1 to M1440. Two MkII prototypes were delivered to London Transport as M1441 and M1442 in 1984, but there were no further orders. In 1987 and 1988, 14 secondhand Metrobuses were purchased from Greater Manchester PTEWest Yorkshire PTE and Busways. London Transport’s low-cost subsidiary Harrow Buses leased 29 new MkII Metrobuses in 1987, but had to return them to their lessor three years later. London Transport’s Metrobuses were the mainstay of the double decker fleet between 1987 and privatisation in 1994, when most of them passed to seven of the new operators.

MTL bought the London Northern company, with a host of Metrobuses. It acquired more when it took over London Suburban Buses, and including some ex-London examples from its Merseyside operation. Garages were at North Acton, Holloway and Potters Bar. Metroline Northern perations in London dwindled during 2002, with Ms replaced by low-floor buses on most routes. Some clung through 2003 on as deputising on the AEC Routemaster routes, but operation on TfL services ceased in March 2004. Potters Bar was the last outpost, where a handful remained on other services until May 2005; where the Volvo Olympians took over.

London General reached the end with Metrobuses in normal service in February 2003, when Stockwell’s last were withdrawn. This still left a couple for special purposes (M1440 at Sutton and the “spotted cow” liveried M1435). There was still a crowd of white-blouse and grey-skirt training buses too, which were mainly moved out from their comfy homes to the Plough Lane open-air space, to make room for the new larger fleet of low-floor WVLs. There is an open-top MCW Metrobus for use by hire in London General; it was also replaced by the withdrawn NVs that left route 74 with a lurch.

First CentrewestFirst Capital and London United also reached the end with Metrobuses in normal service in 2003.

Arriva London also continued using Metrobuses until these were finally displaced in 2002/03.

Some of the MCW Metrobuses were converted to open-top for use by The Original Tour, which is classed as MB class. These were withdrawn by December 2007, replaced by modernised buses. London Pride Sightseeing also has MCW Metrobuses, but these were sold to Ensignbus.

By 2014, there were no MCW Metrobuses licensed for use in London.

West Midlands

Main article: West Midlands Metrobus

The West Midlands PTE and its successor, West Midlands Travel, also purchased significant numbers of Metrobuses (over 1,100), both MkI and MkII examples. These included five prototype vehicles (allocated to Washwood Heath depot near the MCW factory so they could see the vehicles performance in service) and 50 dual-purpose Metrobuses with high-back seats, purchased in 1986. Many of these buses were converted to normal seated buses and continued in service until November 2008. They were mainly used on limited-stop services. Fourteen guided buses were delivered for route 65 (branded Tracline 65), which was the first guided bus system in UK, although the experiment only lasted a couple of years. All of the 14 guided buses were converted for conventional use.

In early 1995 Marshall Bus of Cambridge were contracted to overhaul all of West Midland Travel’s Metrobus fleet. This was the largest used bus overhaul programme in Europe at the time and Marshalls set up a dedicated business division and staff to handle it. Many unavailable parts had to be sourced and made to original patterns by the Marshall procurement team. A production line was established in one of Marshall’s aircraft hangars and anything up to 30 Metrobuses could be found in work at some stage along the line. Duration of refurbishment of each bus was usually 2-3 per week. No powerline items were included with the result that original engines were simply put back in the overhauled buses as they were. This had the effect that as the vehicles were driven from the West Midlands to Marshalls at Cambridge and driven back once completed, they frequently broke down. Over 600 mainly MkII metrobuses were overhauled and the contract ended abruptly in 1999 due to lack of confidence in Marshall Bus over delays with WMT orders for their new single deck buses. As a result of the unique experience gained by Marshall Bus on the Metrobus programme, they won a similar contract to overhaul Transport for London AEC Routemasters starting in 1999.

The last public service ran the 1 service from Birmingham Town Hall to Acocks Green Village, arriving back at Acocks Green Garage at 15:25 on 24 July 2010 and was bus 2903 C903FON. A Metrobus Farewell event was held at Acocks Green on that day and all three of the last Metrobuses were operated, these were 2832, 2903 & 2988 (B832AOP, C903FON & E988VUK). All cash fares taken on the day were donated to Cancer Research UK.

The Green Bus still operate various former Harrow Buses MkII and former National Express West Midlands Mk-IIA Metrobuses on both school services and commercial services.

South Yorkshire

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) purchased over 100 examples between 1981 and 1985. The SYPTE standard fully sprung seats were fitted along with 20 MkIIs having coach seats for express work. The vehicles were noted for quick acceleration although had distinctive engine noise and were rust prone around the engine bay.

The Metrobus also found sales to National Bus Company companies prior to privatisation, Maidstone & District Motor Services and Northern General Transport Company purchased significant numbers.

Hong Kong

Early introductions

In Hong Kong, the China Motor Bus (CMB) introduced 12 Metrobuses (MC1-MC12) in 1978 for its luxury coach services (which covered the routes between Repulse BayStanley and theCentral District). Within a year, MCW produced an 11-metre 2-axle version of Metrobus. Only 40 were produced all for CMB as MB1-MB40 in 1978/79. The MB class were allocated mostly on express and cross-harbour services. Both batches of CMB Metrobuses had MkI bodies.

1980s

05

Preserved China Motor BusMetrobus MkII ML1 in George Street, Sydney in January 2007
06

Kowloon Motor Bus 3-axle MCW Metrobus MkII (11m)

In 1981, MCW produced prototypes of 3-axle, 12-metre long “Super-Metrobuses”. Two were purchased by CMB as ML1-ML2 and three by Kowloon Motor Bus as M1-M3, later renumbered 3M1-3M3. All were bodied with MCW MkII bodies. CMB purchased a further 82 (ML3-84) between 1983 and 1988, while KMB purchased 80 2-axle Metrobuses (M1-M80, with MkII bodies) between 1983 and 1985.

While KMB was not interested in the 12-metre version Super-Metrobuses, they did express their interest in an 11-metre 3-axle version (the CMB 11-metre version Metrobuses were 2-axle) with 254 11-metre 3-axle Metrobuses (S3M1-254) purchased between 1986 and 1989. Fifty of these buses were fitted with Cummins engines, and another one (later numbered S3M145) was originally fitted with a prototype air-conditioner, but this proved unreliable and was subsequently removed.

Between 1987 and 1989, Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) also purchased 59 2-axle Metrobuses for their feeder bus services. 39 of them (101-139) were brand new with MkII bodies, while another 20 (140-159) were second-hand buses purchased from South Yorkshire PTE) with MkI bodies.

Argos Bus purchased 6 Metrobuses for their non-franchised routes and private hire services between 1988 and 1989. They were from the same batch as those bought second-hand by KCRC.

KMB purchased eight further 2-axle Metrobuses (M81-M88) in 1989. These buses were fitted with Cummins LTA10-B282 (282 hp) engines and Voith D864G 4-speed gearbox, and were used on the hilly KMB Route 51 (between Tsuen Wan and Kam Tin, climbing Tai Mo Shan along its way). Later KMB fitted some of its older Metrobuses with Cummins engines, in order to avoid excess damage to buses running the hilly route.

Withdrawal

07

The Original Tour MCW Super Metrobus 12m MkII in London in June 2011

The MkI second-hand Metrobuses were the first to be withdrawn, and all of them have now been scrapped. Many of the KCRC ones were loaned to Citybus for few years before final withdrawal.

CMB removed its MC-class Metrobuses from the luxury routes after introducing Dennis Darts for the service in 1991, preserving the seating layout. These Metrobuses were allocated to non-luxury routes in the Southern District, Hong Kong, as well as route 13 serving the “Mid-levels“. Although CMB was the first to introduce Metrobuses, it withdrew only 3 of them (all were accident victims) before the end of its franchise in August 1998. Its earliest Metrobuses were 20 years old at that time. New World First Bus purchased all the remaining CMB Metrobuses and Super-Metrobuses when it took over most of the CMB routes, and converted 3 MC-class Metrobuses to training buses. In 2000, the last of the MCW Metrobuses were de-registered, briefly exported to The Original TourBig Bus Company or Australia. Some of the MCW Metrobuses were brought back to The Original Tour in the year 2006. As of 2013, the last of the examples from United Kingdom were withdrawn. For Australia, there is a bunch of space for preserved buses from Hong Kong.

KMB allocated its 3 Super-Metrobuses to the New Territories for many years. For example, they were serving on route 61A (which connected Tuen Mun and Yuen Long new towns) right before the KCR Light Rail took over the services. After that, they were seen on route 36A (which connected a public housing estate in Kwai Chung to a ferry pier) until the route’s decline in the mid-1990s. They spent a few further years as spare buses before being withdrawn from passenger service in 1996 and converted to training buses. They were finally sold and scrapped in 2001.

KMB started to withdraw its 2-axle Metrobuses in 1997. Some of them had their chassis damaged due to the fatigue caused during their service on the Tai Mo Shan KMB Route 51, which climbed to the highest altitude achievable by buses in Hong Kong. These were withdrawn by 2003. The 11-metre 3-axle Metrobuses in KMB were not withdrawn until summer 2002.

KCRC also started to withdraw their Mark II Metrobuses in the early 2000s. The last 2-axle Metrobus in Hong Kong (KCRC 134) was withdrawn in October 2005.

The last Metrobus in Hong Kong (KMB fleet number S3M233, license no. EH8559) ceased operation on 8 May 2007. As of mid-2011, no more Metrobuses were licensed and in use in Hong Kong.

End of production

Production of the Metrobus ceased in 1989 with the financial collapse of MCW. The last Metrobus built was West Midlands Travel 3121, it had a message from the builders stating that it was the last one built by MCW and signed by the staff on the inside of the roof.

The Metrobus design was purchased by Optare in 1990, which had recently joined the United Bus group with DAF Bus. Despite owning design and production rights, the two companies heavily reworked the design to produce a new vehicle, the DAF DB250 based Optare Spectra, which was launched in 1991 and ceased production in late 2005.

1935 AEC Regent new to Leeds as number 161 with an MCCW H30-26R body 1936 AEC 664T with Metro-Cammell H40-30R body 1936 Midland Red FEDD 1742, BHA303 with an MCCW H30-26F body 1936 Trent FEDD carries an MCCW body 1936 Trolley met MCW body lt260a 1936 Trolleybus met MCW body 1936. A BMMO FEDD with MCCW body 1937 Daimler COG5 with Metro-Cammell H30-24R 1938 London H1 class Trolleybus 796, ELB796, one of 160 in the class MCCW 1938 London Transport 898, ELB898, an H1 MCCW 1939 Birmingham City Transport M.C.C.W. bodied Daimler COG5 1939 Leyland TD6c with an M.C.C.W. H28-24R body 1940 AEC Renown with MCCW H32-32R body 1940 Daimler COG5 - Metro Cammell H28-26R 1940 Daimler COG5 4266, GNC61, with Metro Cammell H28-26R 1944 Metro Cammell-Crossley H28 26R body 1946 Birch Bros K183, HLY483 was a Leyland PD1 with a Birch L28-25F body. It was rebodied in 1956 with an MCCW H30-26R body 1946 Leyland PD1 with an M.C.C.W. H30-26R body 1946-7 of ten Leyland PD1s with Birch L28-25F bodies. Seven of them received new MCCW H30-26R bodies in 1956-7 1947 Leyland PD1-3 with a Metro Cammell H32-26R body 1948 BUT 9641T with Metro-Cammell body H40-30R body 1948 Guy Arab III with an MCW 35 seat body 1948 Guy Arab III with MCW 35 seat rear entrance body 1948 Leyland PD1 with MCCW H28-26R body 1948 London Transport 1768, HYM768, a 1948 BUT 964T161 with MCW bodywork 1949 Daimler CVG6, one of eighty-seven with Metro-Cammell H30-24R body 1949 Leyland Comet Truck Tiger MCW Olympic Bus Brochure wq669-O1XU5S 1949 Leyland PD1-3 with Metro-Cammell H33-26R body 1950 B.M.M.O. S12 with a Metro-Cammell B44F body 1950 BMMO S6 Midland Red MCW Bus Photo wk2595-HPYEB3a 1950 BMMO-MCW S10 1950 Bristol K6G had not been bodied until July 1952 fitted with a 1940 Metro Cammell FH32-28R body ex-Birmingham trolleybus 83. 1950 Daimler CVG5 156, FEA156 with a Metro-Cammell B35R body 1950 Guy Arab IV with a Metro Cammell body 1950 Leyland Birmingham Tiger with MCW body 1950 Leyland Olympic that was delivered to King Alfred Motor Services in Winchester 1950 1951 A.E.C. 9821LT Regal IV with a Metro-Cammell B39F body 1951 BUT 9641T with Metro-Cammell body H40-30R body 1951 Daimler CVG6 FRJ511, ex Salford City Transport, with a Metro-Cammell body 1951 King Alfred's Leyland MCCW Olympic 1951 Leyland PD2-1 with Metro Cammell H30-26R body 1951 Leyland Titan PD2-1 with Metro-Cammell H30-26R bodywork 1951 Leyland Titan PD2-3 with MCW bodywork. 1951 Two Newcastle But trolleys Metro-Cammell body H40-30R body 1952 A.E.C. 9821LT Regal IV with a Metro-Cammell B39F body 1953 A.E.C. 9821LT Regal IV with a Metro-Cammell B39F body 1953 Metro-Cammell H30-25R bodied Guy Arab IV 1954 AEC MCW Aurora Double Decker Bus Brochure Weymann wp4815-PKC3G8 1954 Daimler CVG6K - Metro Cammell H32-28R 1954 Edinburgh Corporation Transport - line up of new Leyland Titan PD2-20 buses, with MCW bodywork, 1954 1954 Leyland MCW Arcadian Worldmaster Bus Brochure wk8694-9E49QB 1954 Leyland MCW Olympian Transit Bus Brochure & Specs wk3586-ZLNAZP 1954 Leyland PD2-12 with an MCW body 1954 Leyland PD2-20 with Metro-Cammell H33-29R body 1954 Leyland Titan PD2-20 LFS454 with a Metro-cammell Orion body 1954 MCW Jason Leyland Bus Brochure wj8672-EWMNN1 1954 Metro Cammell H37-26RD body. It was a B.M.M.O. D7 1954 Paul Street bus station circa 1960 Left is a 1958 Leyland PD2-40 chassis and MCW body at the old Paul Street bus station 1955 Leyland Atlantean and was a PDR1 model with Metro Cammell H37-24RD bodywork 1955 Leyland Titan PD2-13 with Metro-Cammell H33-28RD body 1955 Leyland Titan PD2-20 built in 1955 with Metro-Cammell H34-29R bodywork 1956 158343437 metropolitan-cammell-weyman-mcw-bus-coach-body-sales- 1956 A E C Regent V MD3RV with Metro-Cammell bodywork. 1956 AEC Reliance with an MCW B44F body 1956 Leyland Titan PD2 with Metro-Cammell H63R body 1956 Leyland Titan PD2-12 with Metro-Cammell H33-28R bodywork 1956 Leyland Titan PD2-12 with Metro-Cammell Orion H36-30R body 1957 cibeles1957vh5 1957 Leyland Titan PD2-12 with MCW body KCH101, of 1957 alongside former Edinburgh Leyland Titan PD2-20 also with MCW body, LFS466. 1957 Leyland Titan PD2-20 MCW Orion H34-29R new in 1957 1957 Leyland Titan PD2-20 with an MCW Orion body 1957 Leyland Titan PD3-4 with Metro-Cammell H31-35F body 1958 670121pq1pz3 1958 cascorro1958sl9 1958 Daimler CVG6 with Metro-Cammell H33-27R body 1958 Leyland Titan PD3-4 with Metro-Cammell H41-32R bodywork. 1958 Leyland Titan PD3-4 with Metro-Cammell Orion H41-32R bodywork 1959 AEC Regent V 2LD3RA built in 1959 with Metro-Cammell H39-31F bodywork 1959 Leyland Atlanteans delivered to Ribble. Delivered in November 1959 it had an M.C.C.W. H44-34F body 1959 Leyland Atlanteans with Metro-Cammell H78F bodies 1959 Leyland Titan PD3-1 with Metro Cammell H40-32F body 1960 AEC Regent V with an MCW body 1960 AEC Regent V with MCCW H40-32F body 1960 Birch Brothers MCW Orion bodied PD2 at Luton in 1964 CONFIDENCE1 1960 Daimler CVG6 with Metro-Cammell H33-27R body. 1960 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-1 with MCW body 1960 Leyland PDR1-1 Atlanteans with Metro-Cammell H44-33F body 1961 Leyland PD3A-1 with Metro Cammell H41-33R body 1961 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-1 with MCW body 1961 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2 with Metro-Cammell B41F bodywork ww1271 1961 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-2 with Metro-Cammell DP41F body 1962 Daimler CVG6 with MCCW H37-28R body 1962 Leyland Titan PD3A-1 with Metro Cammell H39-31F body 1963 Daimler CVG6 with Metro Cammell body 1963 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-1 with MCW 74 seat boywork 1963 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-1 with Metro-Cammell H43-33F bodywork 1963 Leyland Atlanteans with MCW bodywork 1964 Leyland PD2-37 with a Metro Cammell H37-28R body 1964 Metro-Cammell H40-30F bodied AEC Regent V 2D3RA 1965 Bedford VAL14 with MCW Topaz II C52F bodywork 1965 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-1 with MCW bodywork and Lancs United 43, 543RTB, a 1961 Guy Arab IV also with MCW bodywork 1965 Leyland Atlantean PDR1-1 with Metro-Cammell H45-32F body 1966 Liverpool Leyland Atlantean L819, FKF819D, an MCW body 1967 A E C Swift MP2R with Metro-Cammell B37D+30 dual entrance bodywork bd3663a 1967 A E C Swift MP2R with Metro-Cammell B37D+30 dual entrance bodywork 1967 Bedford VAM with a rare MCW Metropolitan coach body 1967 Bedford VAM with MCW bodywork 1967 Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX with MCW H43-31F bodywork 1967 Leyland Panther PSUR1-1R 87, GND87E, with MCW B40D bodywork 1967 Leyland Panther PSUR1-2R with Metro-Cammell C44F bodywork 1967 Leyland Titan PD3A-12 with MCW body 1967 MCW Metropolitan C45F bodied Bedford VAM5 1968 AEC Swift MP2R with MCW B48D body 1968 AEC Swift with MCW 48 seat bodywork a 1968 AEC Swift with MCW 48 seat bodywork 1968 Bristol RELL6G with Metro-Cammell B47D body a 1968 Bristol RELL6G with Metro-Cammell B47D bodywork 1968 Ford R192 with MCW Metropolitan C45F bodywork 1968 Leyland Panther PSUR1A-1R with Metro-Cammell-Weymann B47D bodywork 1968 Leyland Panther PSUR1A-1with MCW bodywork. 1968 Leyland Panthers with MCW body 1968, Leyland Panther PSUR1A-1s with MCW bodywork 1969 AEC Merlin 4P2R with Metro-Cammell B25D bodywork 1969 Bedford VAM70 with MCW Metropolitan C45F body 1969 Leyland Panther PSUR1A-1 with Metro-Cammell B47D+24 body 1969 MCW leylandexmadrid908copiayr6 1969 MCW UK 1969 Scania BR111MH with Metro Cammell Weymann B42D body 1970 AEC Swift with MCW B33D+34 body 1972 Daimler Fleetline with MCW body 1972 Metro-Scania BR111MH with Metro-Cammell B40D bodywork 1974 Daimler Fleetline MCW H44-24D 1975 Daimler Fleetline MCCW, ex-London Transport DMS194 1987 MCW Metro Double Decker Tour Bus Brochure Cummins wo5189-X3V9BH 1987 MCW Metro Highliner Tour Bus Brochure Cummins wo5187-78FR9P 11950 Daimler CVG6D with Metro-Cammell H28-26R body 158310357_metropolitan-cammell-weyman-mcw-bus-coach-body-sales- 158343431_metropolitan-cammell-weyman-mcw-bus-coach-body-sales- AOW3902_leyland_olympic APOLLO OMNIBUS MCW LEYLAND ROYAL TIGER BUS COACH SALES BROCHURE 1956 Cardiff Bus MCW MetroRider Es el que lleva el 518 de la EMT (el de OMO lava más blanco), con lo que creo que podemos suponer que su carrocería también era MCW f01xr4 f02fz6 GM Buses MCW Metrobus images Leicester City Transport Scania MCW 136 when new Leyland Royal Tiger Worldmaster LERT 1-1 MCW Leyland Titan OPD2 MCW Orion leylandteruel1ab6 M1 M723nf MCW 5022qp3 MCW 55163 MCW am0547biseq7 MCW am0548bisze0 MCW Aurora Bus body manufacturer brochure MCW B460WHJ Alder Valley Metroliner with C51F body MCW bodied AEC Merlin London Country MCW bodied chassisless Leyland Olympian single-decker 521-CTF.Warstone MCW D702NWG Yorkshire Traction Metrobus with DPH43-29F body MCW DD Leyland am0540zu4 MCW doubledeck bus MCW emtleylabg8381re3 MCW Evolution Thames Travel 1257 MCW images MCW in Manchester DD MCW in Manchester MCW JNA-404.Manchester MCW Leyland am0542bisdk2 MCW Leyland am0546ul1 MCW Leyland bus [link] several times in Montevideo, Uruguay, MCW Leyland Olympic ntc232-lr MCW Leyland Worldmaster traval1021df0 MCW Metrobus buses 276 (FUT36V) and FUT38V MCW Metrobus Ensign MCW Metrobus Hong Kong a MCW Metrobus Hong Kong MCW Metroliner Yorkshire Traction MCW Metroliner MCW Metrorider ad MCW Metrorider MCW Orion Lightweight bus body - sales brochure issued by Metropolitan-Cammell-Weymann, 1956 MCW Super Metrobus (ex City Sightseeing Adelaide, ex New World First Bus CM8935 No. ML1, ex China Motor Bus CM8935 No. ML1). MCW MCW-ad 2 Merseyside-PTE-MCW-Leyland-Panther-FKF914G-Colour-Bus MR_LCNW MXX-21_thumb Northern MCW Metrobus C 771 OCN A line up of six former Tyneside buses Pat4858 Rochdale Corporation bus 220 AEC Regent III Weymann GDK 720 in Rochdale, Lancashire 7 March 1964 sevilla3jq4 Strathclyde Buses MCW Metrobus MB68 G406OGD and MCW Metrorider M115 E55LBK (MYC1974) This MCW Apollo body is mounted on a Leyland Royal Tiger chassis and is bound for Jamaica trolebs0276bisrc2 West_Yorkshire_PTE_bus_Scania_Metropolitan_Metro_Cammell,_Bradford,_26_July_1975

MARSHALL Buses Cambridge since 1909 England UK

History

first chauffeured car

Marshall of Cambridge was established in 1909 by David Gregory Marshall, in a small lock-up garage in Brunswick Gardens, Cambridge as a chauffeur drive company, which was an immediate success and prompted the move to larger premises in Kings Street in 1910.

During the 1914-1918 War, the company’s premises, which had relocated to Jesus Lane in 1912 when the trade expanded to include selling cars, were used for servicing and repairing of vehicles required for the war effort.

Jesus Lane premises

A chance meeting with Sir Herbert (later Lord) Austin during the Great War when David Marshall’s reserved occupation was as a catering manager, resulted in Marshall being awarded the Distributorship for Austin in Cambridgeshire immediately after the war, although the formal contracts were not signed until 1920.

Austin car

Aviation was in its infancy and much of the enabling technology for successful powered flight was emerging through developments that started in automotive engineering. In fact the company’s first involvement in aviation dates back to 1912 when its mechanics helped repair the engine of a British Army airship, the Beta II, which had made an emergency landing in Jesus Green, Cambridge, just behind the Marshall garage.

airship

aerodrome

It was David Marshall’s son, Arthur, who, having learned to fly after gaining an engineering degree at Jesus College, Cambridge in 1926, helped open a new aerodrome situated on the outskirts of the city beside the family home. From this airfield, known as Fen Ditton, flying training commenced in 1929 and a year later the Marshall Flying School was formed.

Business increased steadily through the 1930s until it became necessary to find a larger site, still close to the city, but allowing for the predicted expansion of activities that would be needed to train more pilots together with the engineering support for growing numbers of aircraft.

1937 Cambridge site

DGM and Sir Kingsley Wood

The company purchased the necessary farmland and in 1937 the new Cambridge Airport was officially opened by the then Secretary of State for Air, Sir Kingsley Wood. This was very opportune for re-armament was becoming an urgent national priority, along with the need for even more facilities for military aircrew training.

The opening of the Company’s second airfield presented Marshall with an opportunity to open a second garage, known as Airport Garage. Having been closed down as part of the war effort during the Second World War, both garages re-opened in 1945, with Jesus Lane concentrating on Austin Cars and Airport Garage focusing on Austin Trucks.mechanics

In 1938 a major flying training school for the RAF Volunteer Reserve was established by Marshall and training soon got into its stride with over 600 new RAF pilots trained before the Battle of Britain commenced. This increased in size and tempo so that by the end of the Second World War, the company had trained over 20,000 aircrew, including pilots, observers and flying instructors. The training scheme was universally adopted by the Royal Air Force in 1941 and continues to this day.

flying school trainees

Alongside this training, Marshall also modified and repaired over 5,000 aircraft, ranging in size and complexity from the Oxfords and Ansons of Flying Training Command to such front-line operational types as the Mosquito, Spitfire, Hurricane, Wellington and B-17. During the Second World War, the workforce was expanded to around 3,000, including many female workers.

Mosquito aeroplane 1944

Postwar, aerospace engineering work continued to generate new business, civil and military, with with many different types of aircraft passing through the company’s well-equipped hangars and workshops. Most of this work involved repairs, structural modifications and conversions, but also included final assembly of the last production batch of 65 de Haviland Venoms. Many Canberra bombers were modified over the years as were a number of Vickers aircraft, including the Valiant, Viking, Varsity, Valetta and Viscount. Marshall also developed its aircraft design and manufacturing facilities, becoming a natural sub-contractor to all the British aircraft manufacturing companies.

Venom aeroplane

Alongside its sister companies, Marshall Motor Group flourished in the post-war era and steadily grew to include garages in Peterborough in 1946 and Bedford a few years later, as well as a number of operations in smaller towns.

Peterborough premises

Marshall SV was founded in 1946 under the name of Marshall Motor Bodies Division. Following the Second World War, the reduction in aircraft work led to a diversification into vehicle body building. old vanAircraft fitters built the first bodies on commercial vehicle chassis which were sold to number of local and national companies including Chivers, Millers and Whitbread.

The early work of Marshall SV included refurbishment of London Transport buses, this led to the company going on to build over 90,000 vehicle bodies and more than 5,000 tactical shelters in over 200 configurations for the Ministry of Defence.MOD vehicle

police vanSome very early Marshall SV products included Black Marias for the Metropolitan Police, early state-of-the-art outside television broadcasting vehicles for the BBC, as well as radar vans for Marconi, ambulances for the Scottish Ambulance Service and military ambulances for the British Armed Forces.

bus productionDuring the 1950s and 1960s Marshall SV manufactured a wide range of buses; they took over bus production from Mulliners which led to the delivery of almost 5,000 buses. More recently the company built a number of buses for London Transport and other bus operating companies around the country.

1948 Marshall jesus-lane 1961 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R's - 116 having a Marshall B51F body 1961 Marshall BET singledecker Leyland Leopard Southdown 1961 Southdown 659, 7659CD, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-1 with Marshall B43F body 1961 Yorkshire Woollen 231, GHD750, AEC Reliance with Marshall 43 seat bodywork 1961 Yorkshire Woollen District 241, GHD760, was an AEC Reliance with Marshall B43F body 1962 Clynnog & Trefor 774NJO, a 1962 AEC Reliance with Marshall B53F body 1962 Southdown 655, 7655CD, the first of a batch of 10 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-1 with Marshall B43F bodies, new in April 1962 1962 Wimpey, contractor, 7655CD, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1-1 from 1962 with Marshall B43F bodywork 1962 Yorkshire Woollen District 228, GHD747, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Marshall B43F body 1963 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1 with Marshall B45F bodywork 1963 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R built with Marshall B53F bodywork 1963 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R with Marshall B53F bodywork. 1963 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R with Marshall bodywork 1963 Leyland PSU3 with Marshall Bodywork 1963 Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard ex East Kent but new to Southdown as their 680 in March 1963 Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard 1963 St Helens Corporation Transport Marshall bodied AEC Reliance 212 1963 Sunderland Corporation 48, WBR248, one of three Atkinson Alphas with Marshall body 1964 AEC Reliance 2U3RA with Marshall B53F bodywork 1964 AEC Reliance 2U3RA with Marshall bodywork 1964 AEC Reliance 128WNY of Thomas Bros., Port Talbot, seen in the original blue-green livery, was one of three with Marshall B53F bodies 1964 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1 with Marshall B53F body 1964 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R built with Marshall B53F bodywork 1964 Lough Swilly 162, AUI7660, a Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R with Marshall B53F bodywork 1964 Marshall bodied AEC Reliance that had been new to Hebble 1964 Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R and 205, ECK205E, a 1967 45 seat PSU3-4R again bodied by Marshall 1964 Primrose Valley TCP901, an AEC Reliance 590 2U3RA with Marshall B51F bodywork. 1964 Sunderland Corporation 48, WBR248, an Atkinson Alpha PM746HL with Marshall B45D bodywork 1965 AEC Reliance 2MU3RA with Marshall B45F body 1965 AEC Reliance 2U3RA with a Marshall B53F body, next to Southdown 181, KCD181F, a 1967 Leyland Leopard PSU3-3R Marshall B45F 1965 AEC Reliance 2U3RA with Marshall B53F body 1965 AEC Reliance with Marshall body 1965 Bedford VAL14s with Marshall B40C bodies 1965 Bedlington & District ARN574C (formerly Ribble 574), a Leyland Leopard PSU3-1R with Marshall B53F body 1965 Daimler Fleetline CRG6LXSD with Marshall B37F bodywork 1965 Daimler Fleetline Marshall back 1965 Daimler Fleetline Marshall 1965 Daimler Fleetline with Marshall B37F body 1965 Daimler Fleetlines when it took delivery of a batch with Marshall bodywork 1965 Former Maidstone and District S6, BKT821C, an AEC Reliance with Marshall B53F body 1965 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1RT fitted with a Marshall 'Federation' B45F body a 1965 Leyland Leopard PSU3-1RT fitted with a Marshall 'Federation' B45F body 1965 Leyland Leopard with Marshall B53F bodywork 1965 Leyland Panther-Marshall, YSC 448K 1965 Maidstone & District S10, BKT825C, AEC Reliance 2U3RA with a Marshall B53F body 1965 Marshall-bodied Bedford VAL, COD925C 1966 ey806 Leyland Panther PSUR1-2R with Marshall B49F 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU3-2 with Marshall B53F bodywork 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU3-4R with Marshall DP49F bodywork 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU4-4R built in 1966 with Marshall B44F bodywork 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU4-4R with Marshall 44 seat body 1966 Leyland Leopard PSU4A-4R with 44 seat Marshall bodywork Next to 665 is Harrington coach body 1961 1966 Leyland Panther PSUR1-2R with Marshall B49F bodywork 1966 Ribble bought a number of 30 foot Leyland Leopards with Marshall bodywork 1966 Southend Leyland Leopard 208, GJN508D shortly after delivery 1967 Bedford VAL14s with Marshall B40D body 1967 City of Oxford 634, GJO634F, was an A.E.C. MP2R Swift, one of five with Marshall B53F body 1967 Number 31 was a Marshall bodied bus, new 4 67 to Oldham (No. 117)  Transparency0104 1968 Bristol RESL6G with Marshall B43F body. 1968 Leyland Leopard Marshall PSU4A TVT 128G 1969 AEC Swift MP2R with Marshall B45D bodywork 1969 Bradford City Transport bought 5 AEC Swifts with Marshall dual door 1969 DBY427 - Leyland Leopard-Marshall B46F. Ex Maidsotne & District 3457 (GKE457L). Valetta 1969 Portsmouth 186, NTP186H, an AEC Swift with Marshall B42D bodywork 1970 East Midland Marshall B45F bodied AEC Swift O507, OAL507F, seen on a Chesterfield service. 1971 AEC Swift Marshall, St Albans, May 1976 1971 Blackpool switched to AEC Swifts in the late 1960s. 563, UFR563K. is a 1971 example with Marshall body 1971 East Midland O501, NAL501F, a Marshall B45F bodied AEC Swift seen in Chesterfield. 1971 Former St Helens Corporation 248, EDJ248J, an AEC Swift with Marshall B44D body 1971 Midland Red NBC bus 6444 Leyland Leopard Marshall CHA 444K 1973 AEC Swift 275, PDJ275L Marshall body 1973 Preston 237, AUE309J, one of a batch of Marshall Camair bodied Leyland Panther buses 1975 Western National Royal Blue Marshall Bristol LH6L NTT 320M March 1975 1976 Reliance but this time with Marshall bus bodywork 1977 Marshall doubledeck bodied Leyland Olympian for Yellow Buses Bournemouth 1978 Marshall bodied Dennis Dominator 1980 marshall darlington dennis 1980 saloon 76 dominator yvn76t camair 1993 Marshall C16 Mercedes Travel West Midlands 1993 Mercedes Benz 811D Marshall P229 EJW 1993 Mercedes-Benz 811D (T2 Mk2) Marshall C16, Wolverhampton 1993 Thamesway Mercedes O810D Marshall Originally Essex Buses 415 r415ypu 4101 GCN834G Leyland Panther-Marshall Northern A pair of Panthers owned by East Yorkshire with Marshall bodywork gat801d-lr AEC Reliances with Marshall 45 seat bus body pho596g Alder Valley Bristol RESL Marshall ex Southdown bedford-sb3-marshall-body-coach-45-ac-44 Bickers 105CUF, Leyland Leopard - Marshall. Ex Southdown BMC 550FGK .Marshall 29 seater bus.Ex-Gibralter Goverment Citibus Bristol RE Marshall Dennis Dart SLF Marshall Capital R636 VLX in Hilsea depot with few Mercedes - Benz buses DM Ealing 1997 Centrewest opted for Marshall Minibuses East Kent AEC Swift Marshall RJG 203G FBY708 - Bedford YRQ Marshall B45F (7-75). AWRE, Aldermaston. Valetta Bus Station hed08 Knotty ex St. Helens Corp. AEC Swift Marshall, EDJ 242J LCBS, AEC Swift, Marshall, (SMW 10) XCY 468J leaving St Albans garage logo Marshall bodied Daimler Fleetline BON472C Marshall DP49F. Odd man out in the Ribble fleet for over ten years was the first production Leyland Panther ACK774B lr Marshall Malta m122 Marshall Perkins fby722-1010020122 mIfsvTWXKO6eeP3tV8pLQ7w Nationals are seen with a Marshall bodied Bristol RE in Guildford Bus Station Nu-Venture R720 BNF short Marshall bodied Leyland Leopard HAC-628D.MRW St. Helens AEC Swift-Marshall, EDJ 244 The Marshall Camair was a rather stylish body introduced at the end of the sixties. a The Marshall Camair was a rather stylish body introduced at the end of the sixties. Warrington Marshall Dart 1 Warrington Marshall Dart SLF 1 WCountryliner MRM7 AE07 DZD WHalton Dart Evolution 1 WHalton Marshall Dart 1

Meanwhile in Marshall Aerospace, a new concrete runway was built in 1953, which was subsequently extended in 1971, and two years later the first of the very large hangars. This new accommodation could handle such aircraft as the Valiant, Britannia, Belfast and VC-10, but also, in more recent years, the Hercules.

Valiants

In 1957 Marshall SV worked closely with the National Research and Development Corporation and Tom Bacon, the inventor of the fuel cell. The company and Tom Bacon successfully developed a three kilowatt fuel cell powered by hydrogen and oxygen which was demonstrated on an electrical forklift truck. This technology was later developed by Pratt and Witney in the United States and received an accolade from President Nixon when manned flight to the moon was made possible by the use of these fuel cells.Tom Bacon

The Vickers Viscount was the first turbo-prop airliner in the world and was introduced into service in 1953, with 244 of these aircraft modified at Marshall in the following two years. Marshall also modified a number of Mk 2 Comets, BEA’s fleet of four engined turboprop Vickers Vanguard aircraft and BOAC’s Britannia fleet.

Vickers Vanguard

The skills developed in the Aircraft Design office during the 1960s subsequently enabled Marshall Aerospace to undertake the design and manufacture of the Concorde droop nose and retracting visor in 1967, on behalf of the British Aircraft Corporation.

Concord nose

ejector seat testMarshall SV ‘s diverse manufacturing abilities were particularly well demonstrated in 1963 when they received an order from RAE Farnborough to manufacture expendable sleds to test ejector seats for aircraft. The sleds were of timber construction and powered by rocket motors capable of accelerating to around 500 mph. They ran on a rail system constructed at Pendine Sands and were truly expendable as they all finished up in the sea!

fuselage-stretch production

MOD vehicleMarshall Aerospace became the UK Designated company for the RAF C-130 K Hercules in 1966 and introduced the aircraft to RAF service. The company became a Sister Design Authority in 1988, and has supported the RAF fleet on a continuous basis since then. This has enabled Marshall Aerospace to win MOD engineering support contracts that have resulted in a continuous through-life association with Lockheed Martin and the C-130K Hercules. This has included complex fuselage-stretch production and major repair, modification and upgrades work for both the RAF and a large number of export customers also operating the aircraft.

1972 saw the launch of Marshall Thermo King, which specialises in the sales and after sales support of advanced, vehicle-mounted, temperature control units. With over 100 fully equipped mobile engineers on call 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year, operating from 10 depots across the UK, Marshall Thermo King offers unrivalled support to transport fleet operations across the country, including those for many of the UK’s largest retailers. Its sister company, Vehicle & Tail lift Repairs (VTR), complements the business offering, specialising in the service and maintenance of commercial vehicle tail lifts.

space sledIn 1978 Marshall Aerospace won a contract from the European Space Agency to design and manufacture a space sled for medical research in order to find ways of alleviating the problems of space motion sickness experienced by some astronauts and to provide possible training methods for conditioning the human balancing system. In 1985 the sled flew for 7 days in Challenger from the Kennedy Space Centre and covered 121 orbits of the earth.

Rover dealershipThe nationalisation and subsequent privatisation of the British motor manufacturing industry during the 60s/70s/80s saw Marshall’s franchise base broaden to include most of the well-known British marques: Austin, Morris, Rover, Jaguar, Triumph, Land Rover, Leyland, Rolls Royce Bentley and Aston Martin.

The air support of the Expeditionary Forces during the Falklands Conflict in 1982 was only made possible because of the installation by Marshall of air-to-air refuelling receiver equipment in RAF Hercules aircraft. This vital modification was designed, manufactured, installed and flight trialled within 14 days, with the first aircraft in operational service within 3 weeks from the initial design request. Following this, the company modified 6 Hercules as tanker aircraft which remained in service until 1995. This hangar also accommodated DC10, MD11 and Boeing 747 aircraft.

air-to-air refuelling

TriStar freighterThe Falklands campaign clearly identified the requirement for a long range strategic tanker for the RAF and, in 1983, Marshall built its largest hangar to accommodate the contract to convert civil TriStars for RAF use as both freighter and tanker aircraft for which Marshall Aerospace became the Sister Design Authority.

The TriStars played a key role in the 1990-1991 Gulf War and Marshall provided substantial support through essential design work for operational modifications together with maintenance and the overnight painting of two TriStars into desert pink camouflage.

pink TriStar

RAF TriStarThe company has also converted a number of passenger TriStar aircraft for use as civil freighters in the United States. Both the Hercules and TriStar remain in front-line RAF service and Marshall continues to provide full engineering support with major modification and upgrade contracts.

air-to-air refuelling

From the 1960s to the end of the 1990s Marshall SV worked on a wide range of projects, including the manufacture of a large number of support vehicles for the Armed Forces, including in particular bodies for Bedford Trucks, later bought out by Marshall SV.

Special Ops Lad Rover - desert

The company also built special vehicles for the Queen’s Flight and the RAF’s Support Harrier Force; the first air portable containers for the Rapier Weapon System developed by the British Aircraft Corporation; specially modified vehicles for the Special Air Service (SAS); engineering mock-ups of armoured command vehicles and armoured signal vehicles for the Fighting Vehicles Research and Development Establishment (FVRDE).

army ambulanceThe company continued to build ambulances – for the Dutch Army as well as the British Army; developed the construction of a highly modified Land Rover chassis for the Armed Forces, including gunship installations; supplied special vans to Cambridgeshire Constabulary for police dog handlers; and even a racing car transporter for BRM.

Shelters were in great demand and the company received numerous orders from the British Aircraft Corporation and the Army.

cargo vehicleTowards the end of the 1990s, building on their earlier reputation, Marshall SV developed and manufactured curtain sided vehicles for Green King and Whitbread. The cargo vehicle building business continued from strength to strength with orders received for several thousand vehicles.

It was also at this time that the concept for the DROPS Flatrack was born, utilising the expertise of both Motor Bodies and the Aircraft Division for the design. Over 10,000 of these unique units were supplied to the MOD and these have subsequently been demonstrated during both Gulf Wars. DROPS flatrack

Power Pack Repair FacilitiesMarshall SV has also been prime contractor for the supply of Mobile Field Hospitals, Power Pack Repair Facilities and Mobile Bakeries.

TriStar to carry Pegasus rocketsIn 1992 Marshall Aerospace was selected by Orbital Sciences Corporation in the USA to perform the design and conversion of a TriStar to carry Pegasus rockets to launch satellites, with the first satellite successfully launched in 1995.

The rapid expansion of regional aircraft in the 1990s led to Marshall undertaking repair and overhaul work on BAe 146 aircraft for a number of airlines, including Virgin, and The Royal Squadron for use by HM the Queen.

Virgin aeroplane

In 1995 Marshall Motor Group pioneered the development of purpose-built multi-franchise operations with the opening of the Marshall Car Centre on Newmarket Road in Cambridge, utilising land already owned by the company.

car centre

With a large dedicated used car operation, a 60,000ft2 parts warehouse and 8 franchise specific showrooms and workshops, this innovative new concept led the industry.parts warehouse

Following on from the appointment as the Cessna Citation Service Centre for the UK in 1974, Marshall continues to this day to carry out routine servicing and maintenance on a wider range of Cessna executive jets.

inside hangar

Continuing its expansion into the civil market, from 1998 Marshall Aerospace saw over 100 British Airways and a number of Lufthansa 747 aircraft through the hangars at Cambridge, for modifications ranging from crew rest areas, first class enhancements, interior refurbishment and even the painting of the tail fins to remove the then controversial BA logo!parts warehouse

The company holds a wide range of authorisations to work on a range of executive and commercial aircraft from light aircraft to Cessna Citations to Boeing 777s. On the maintenance side, the company’s expertise extends from routine daily maintenance to a full aircraft depot check, and modifications can range from a basic instrument change to a complete avionics upgrade.parts warehouse

With the British Armed Forces’ shift from a Cold War emphasis to Rapid Reaction Expeditionary Force, Marshall SV’s military business has evolved in recent years from Equipment Manufacturer to Systems Integrator. Today, the military business is centred on providing rapidly deployable systems for the UK MoD and military customers worldwide, for use in a wide range of situations and extreme environments as well as for humanitarian operations and by the United Nations.

inside hangar

Since 2000 Marshall SV has developed a number of new and innovative projects. These include a range of modular medical facilities have been developed for the National Health Service and supplied to several hospitals, including a number of operating theatre and clinic units for Addenbrooke’s Hospital. Incident Response Units and Prime Mover vehicle systems have been designed and manufactured for use by the Fire Service and solutions developed for the deployment of counter-measures equipment to satisfy the UK Government’s National Resilience program

Incident Response Units

Marshall SV has also designed Integrated Ground Stations for the Army’s Stand-off Radar (ASTOR) project and the Battlefield Communications project (Cormorant). The company is currently engaged in the manufacture of Ground Station Shelters for the MoD’s Watchkeeper surveillance UAV (unmanned air vehicle) programme and is involved in the manufacture of ground-launched low cost surveillance UAVs.UAV

100 years on from the humble beginnings of the Marshall Group, Marshall Executive Chauffeur is still in business, operating a fleet of long wheelbased Jaguars, and offering a reliable and confidential service for stress free door to door travel, with experienced, uniformed chauffeurs and an expert knowledge of London, for both business and personal travel.

Jaguar cars

The Cambridge Aero Club is one of the longest established flight training schools in the world and has been training pilots for more than sixty years. The Aero Club operate a fleet of five Cessna 172SPs, an Extra 200, and a Piper PA23 Aztec, and can provide courses in JAR PPL, NPPL, IMC, Night, Tailwheel, Advanced, and Formation flying.UAV

Marshall Executive Aviation offers private aircraft charter using Cessna Citation Bravos, a Citation XLS and a Bombardier Challenger 300. Private aircraft charter gives the ultimate flexibility and control, together with significant time savings, enhanced levels of security and strict confidentiality.

pilots

Marshall Motor Group is a Top 10 dealer group and the second largest privately owned dealer group in the UK and operates on the principle of delivering a flexible and personal service to all of its customers, just as David Marshall did when he started out in 1909.

In 2006, 60 years on from its beginnings, history repeated itself as Marshall SV, through its Vehicle Engineering subsidiary, began work on a project to supply the MoD with 7,000 Support Vehicles, based on a MAN chassis, to replace the Army’s existing fleet with a lighter and stronger truck which will last long into the future.

Marshall SV

In 2005, Airbus Military awarded Marshall Aerospace a contract to carry out risk reduction flight trials for the Europrop International TP400-D6 Turboprop engine, to be fitted to the Airbus A400M Military Transporter. As part of the project, an instrumented engine and propeller was fitted to a modified C-130 aircraft, and the modified aircraft was flown for approximately 100 hours to examine in-flight characteristics.

Airbus A400M Military Transporter

Taking Marshall Aerospace into the 21st Century, was the MOD announcement, on May 31, 2006, of the placing of a £1.52 billion prime contract with Marshall Aerospace, to provide long-term in-depth Hercules maintenance and support at Cambridge and the main RAF operating base, within a partnership with Lockheed Martin and Rolls-Royce.

Hercules aeroplane

2009 saw the centenary of the Marshall Group of Companies, as well as the 80th anniversary of Marshall’s association with aviation.

aerial shot

MCV Bus and Coach

MCV
Type Private (?)
Predecessor(s) Marshall Bus
Founded 2002
Headquarters ElyEngland
Products Bus bodies
Parent Manufacturing Commercial Vehicles (MCV)
Website www.mcv-eg.com
01 Countryliner MRM7 AE07 DZD

MCV Evolution owned byCountryliner, at the 2007 Cobham bus rally

02 Halton Dart Evolution 1

Offside view of an Evolution

MCV Bus and Coach is a British manufacturer of bus bodies founded in late 2002 after buying the assets of defunct bus builder Marshall Bus who closed down in the summer of that year. It is a subsidiary of the Egyptian Manufacturing Commercial Vehicles.

History

MCV started production with a batch of 5 Dennis Darts for Warrington Borough Transport and were built to the Capital design. However at this time TransBus (who produced the Dart and other Dennis products) didn’t want any other bodybuilders for the chassis as they were to sell them as complete TransBus products (i.e. Darts with Pointer bodies etc.), so these remained a one off. MCV looked at a few other chassis to body before deciding they would body on the MAN 14.220, the bodywork for this was based on the Capital design, but with a new front end, and being adapted to work with this heavy duty chassis, it was renamed the Stirling and was launched in 2003. It was later added to the shorter 12.220.

Products

References

  1. Jump up^ Busride Magazine Volume 2008, Issue 3 “Letter From Europe”

Marshall Bus

1 Halton Marshall Dart 1

A typical Marshall product, a Capital-bodied Dennis Dart SLF, with the later Marshall Capital 2 body, operated by Halton Transport

Marshall Bus was a British bus manufacturer between 1992 and 2002. The company’s most popular product was the Marshall Capital, which was a single-decker bus body built between 1997 and 2003. It was typically built on the Dennis Dart SLF chassis, but was also used for other chassis types and to re-body older chassis.

In 2002, Marshall went into administration and shortly after closed. Thereafter, MCV Bus and Coach bought the design rights for the Capital body and they continued production for a short while before its successor MCV Stirling was introduced. All proceeds from the sale went to the heir of the initial designer, Andrea Marshall.

Picture gallery

Buses (ALEXANDER DENNIS) – DENNIS Surrey UK

Dennis

00 Dennis

@

01 Bus Arriva

Een Dennis-bus van Arriva

02 Dennis_Pax_flatbed_reg_XJG_383

Dennis Pax flatbed truck

Dennis is een Engelse busbouwer en fabrikant van speciale voertuigen, gevestigd in Guildford in Surrey. Het bedrijf werd opgericht in 1895 als Dennis Brothers Ltd.. Dennis kent twee grote groepen van producten: brandweerwagens en bussen. Daarnaast bouwt het ook veegwagens en voertuigen voor vliegvelden.

In 1972 werd Dennis overgenomen door de Hestair Group nadat het bedrijf in zwaar weer terecht was gekomen. In 1989 vond een managementbuy-out plaats en werd het bedrijf eigendom van Trinity Holdings. In oktober 1998 werd het bedrijf aan Mayflower Corporation verkocht.

In de jaren negentig werd het bedrijf in drie onderdelen opgesplitst:

  • Dennis Fire – voor brandweerwagens;
  • Dennis Bus – voertuigen voor het openbaar vervoer;
  • Dennis-Eagle – gespecialiseerd in de fabricage van veegwagens en andere specialistische voertuigen.

Het bedrijf Mayflower Corporation verkocht in 1999 Dennis-Eagle. De bedrijven Dennis Bus en Dennis Fire werden weer onder één naam samengevoegd, dit bedrijf ging verder als Transbus International. In 2004 veranderde de naam naar het huidige Alexander Dennis.

Alexander Dennis

03

Alexander ALX200 op Dennis Dart SLF-chassis

04Trident-lancashire

Dennis Trident

Alexander Dennis Ltd. (voorheen TransBus International) te Falkirk in Schotland is de grootste busbouwer van het Verenigd Koninkrijk en de één na grootste ter wereld.

Het bedrijf werd op 1 januari 2001 opgericht als Transbus, na een fusie van Walter Alexander CoachbuildersDennis Bus en Plaxton, alle gevestigd in het Verenigd Koninkrijk. In mei 2004 werd Plaxton weer verzelfstandigd en werd het resterende deel van Transbus (Alexander en Dennis) verkocht aan een aantal zakenmensen. De nieuwe bedrijfsnaam werd Alexander Dennis.

Het bedrijf produceert complete bussen, alsook brandweerwagens en vuilniswagens. Eén van de best verkopende bussen in het Verenigd Koninkrijk is het Dennis Dartchassis. De dubbeldekkervariant Dennis Trident is het meest voorkomende bustype in Londen en rijdt ook voor Dublin Bus. Het grootste deel is in dienst bij Arriva.

Op het Dennis Dart chassis werden verscheidene carrosserieën gebouwd, waaronder de Alexander ALX200, waarvan ook een serie voor de Nederlandse tak van Arriva is gebouwd. Deze bussen werden in 2001 afgeleverd, maar er zijn in 2008 al enkele afgevoerd en geëxporteerd naar Arriva in Tsjechië. In Nederland wordt dit bustype meestal kortweg Dennis genoemd omdat alle hier rijdende types op het Dennis Dart SLF-chassis staan. In het Verenigd Koninkrijk zijn er echter ook bussen van dit type op Volvo-chassis.

05

1920 Dennis Chars-a-Bancs

06

1921 Dennis F Chars-a-bancs

07

1923 Dennis Chars-a-bancs

08

1924 Dennis

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1925 Dennis UK

09a General D142 Dennis 4ton 1925 London Bus Museum

general-d142-dennis-4ton-1925

08a 1928 Dennis Open

1924 Dennis Open

10

1925 Dennis

11

1926 Dennis H demonstrator PK 334

12

1927 Dennis 30cwt

13

1929 Dennis 29-seat single deck bus which has a maximum speed of 30 mph, powered by its original 5.7 litre petrol engine

14

1929 Dennis 30

15

1929 Dennis GL Toastrack

16

1929 Dennis Toastrack Chars-a-bancs

17

1930 Dennis

18

1931 Dennis 30cwt

19

1934 Dennis Ace bus

20

1935 Dennis Lance II NJ-5978 lr

21

1935 Dennis Ace DL9015 IOW + Harrington body

22

1935 Dennis Lancet D395 Strachans Body C30R CG9600

23

1936 Dennis Lancet I Petrol Engin BAA389

24

1936 Dennis Lancet I Petrol Engine Strachans B30R Body AOT600

25

1936 Dennis Lancet Petrol

26

1937 Dennis Lancet bus in Aldershot & District livery

27

1941 Dennis Lancet II Gardner 5LW oil Engine Strachans B32R-F body ECG381 1941-42

28

1947 Dennis Lancet III

29

1948 Dennis Lancet III J3 Dennis 06 7.585cc direct inj 6 cyl oil engine Strachans B32R EOU464

30

1948 Dennis Lancet III J3 Dennis 06 7585cc dir-inj 6cyl oil engine Strachans B32R-C32R body GAA619 1948-49

31

1949 Dennis Lance 111 with Duple A type coach body

32

1949 Dennis Lancet III with Strachans Body GOU 814

33

1950 Dennis Lancet III HOU 904

34

1950 Dennis Lancet III J10 Dennis 06 7585cc dir inj oil engine Strachans B38R body HOU910

35

1951 Dennis

36

 Dennis Falcon 235

37

1953 Dennis Lancet J10C Strachans fullfront FC38C 30feetl +8feet br LAA230

38

1954 Dennis Lancet LU2 Duple C41C in Wolsey Road

39

1954 Dennis Lancet UF HJG-18 Dubbel C41C

40

1955 Dennis-Teal-bus Singapore

41

1954 Dennis Lancet-Ambassador by Leyland

42

1954 Dennis Ad

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1956 Dennis AEC with Weymann body, 543, NOR581

44

1953 Dennis Lance K4 LOU-40 lr

45

Dennis Lance bus in Aldershot and District Traction

46

1959 Dennis loline I alton

47

1961 Dennis Loline III RDB-892 Alexander H39-32F

48

1962 Dennis Loline III bus

1965 Dennis Lance K4

1953 Dennis Lance K4

50

1977 Dennis Lancet

51

1984 Dennis Lancet with Alexander P body in Crewe

52

1987 Merseybus Dennis Lancet, Southport.

53

1990 Knotty Bus, Marshall bodied Dennis Lancet – VCW 598Y

54

 Dennis Falcon Bus Mayne Manchester

55

Dennis Javelin Plaxton Safeguard Coaches

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2006 Dennis-Pointer-Londen

57

 DENNIS ALX 400

58

DENNIS ALX 500 Hong Kong

59

Dennis Compass Bus GX09 AGZ

60

Dennis Dart First Manchester

61

Dennis Dart G39 TGW

62

Dennis Dart M68 CYJ

63

Dennis Dominator in service with Stagecoach Manchester

64

Dennis Dragon

65

DENNIS ENVIRO 200

66

DENNIS ENVIRO 300

67

DENNIS ENVIRO 400

alexander-dennis-limited-enviro-500

alexander-dennis-limited-enviro-500

68

Dennis Enviro 200 Dart demonstrator

69

Dennis Enviro 200 Dart

70

Dennis Lance Arrow Lance SLF Go West Midlands K302 YJA

72

 Plaxton Pointer-bodied Dennis Dart SLF

73

Dennis-lance

74

DENNIS-CAETANO SLS

75

Dennis Trident low floor bus

76

 Dennis Trident 18163

77

DENNIS TRIDENT 3

78

Dennis Trident 3 with Duple Metsec DM5000 body

79

DENNIS TRIDENT 3 857

Metroline bus DM970 Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 MCV Evolution

Metroline bus DM970 Alexander Dennis Enviro 200 MCV Evolution

00 Dennis

Filed Under: A.C.F.AlexanderALEXANDER DENNISCAETANODENNISDUPLELeyland,MarshallPlaxtonTrolleybusesUKWeymann

Buses BMC Britisch Motor Corporation first UK now Turkey

Bussen BMC Britisch Motor Corporation GB

BMC is de Britisch Motor Corporation. Qua bussen maken ze die al heel lang, maar momenteel eigenlijk hoofdzakelijk nog in Turkije.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Motor_Corporation Vroeger maakten bijna alle Britse merken deel uit van deze corporatie. Maar die hebben het lang niet allemaal overleefd. We beginnen met een stel ouwetjes, om te beginnen dit safari busje uit 1967, maar die werd nog in Engeland gemaakt.

BMC 250 JU 1967
BMC 550FGK .Marshall 29 seater bus.Ex-Gibralter Goverment
BMC 1935 gebouwd door Ayats busbuilders in Spain, een beauty
BMC Chassis Training123 Australia
BMC 550Fg Leyland LexBus Livingbus
BMC Laird 920LP . Hind B-F. Ex-Carlyle School Bus 1969
BMC Rosette 1964 Sweden
BMC Training Vehicle

En nu gaan we dan over naar de huidige generatie bussen, die er bepaald niet mooier op geworden zijn. Wel luxer.

BMC Levend XL Dolmuş Antalya Turkije 2010
BMC 250 SLF 2010
BMC Belde (2005) Turkije
BMC Belde 220-17C 1 Antalya Turkije 2004
BMC bus 3 Buzau
BMC Belize
BMC Bus 27 seats
BMC verlengd
BMC Karisma (2009)
BMC Condor (2004) UK
BMC mini bus-taxi-dolmuş in Istanbul
BMC Probus at the 2008
BMC Probus LX
BMC Procity 4 Antalya Turkije
BMC Probus
 BMC Probus 850 Club (2006)
BMC Midilux L (2008)

Buses ATKINSON England

Bussen Atkinson 1954-1964

Atkinson Logo

Atkinson, of Seddon Atkinson een groot Engels merk begonnen in 1903 tot 1974. Voor het merendeel hebben ze trucks gemaakt, daarover later meer. Bussen hebben ze alleen gemaakt tussen 1954 en 1964.

Atkinson Alpha WBR 248
Atkinson BPL745H buses bought by Venture + a Willowbrook body, B45F  182 1956
Atkinson in Australia
Atkinson MKII 6LW LMA-370Northern Counties H35-25CD 1955
Atkinson BPL745H with Willowbrook B45F body (having been reseated from DP41F) 1957
Atkinson only produced one double deck chassis bodied by Northern Counties for SHMD as their 70 UMA370 in 1955
Atkinson PL746H with Northern Counties B34+27CD body, one of two 1956
Atkinsons 46-48 soon after it was bought for preservation, still in Tyne and Wear Sunderland 46
Atkinson PD746 double decker with Northern Counties H35-25C body green
Atkinson Alphas with Marshall body bought in December 1963-January 1964
Atkinson BPL745H chassis + Willowbrook B45F bodywork VPT549 1957

Dit was het al weer. Volgens mij zijn alle door Atkinson op de weg gezette bussen getoond.