Park Royal Vehicles
Dating its origins back to 1889, Park Royal Vehicles along with its Leeds-based subsidiary Charles H. Roe was one of Britain’s leading coachbuilders and bus manufacturers based at Park Royal, west London, UK.
Associated Commercial Vehicles
In 1949 it became part of Associated Commercial Vehicles Ltd., which included AEC (the chassis manufacturer). This formidable combination of AEC and PRV supported the demanding requirements of London Transport and many other major fleet owners and operators. The famous Routemaster bus was built at Park Royal.
In 1962, the ACV Group merged with the Leyland Motors group to form Leyland Motor Corporation, in 1968 Leyland Motor Corporation and British Motor Holdings merged, becoming the British Leyland Motor Corporation. BL (British Leyland) was nationalised by the Labour Government in 1975, following which many subsidiaries were closed: AEC in 1979 and Park Royal in July 1980.
Park Royal was also responsible for many other coachworks besides London buses. It had a vast array of vehicles to its name including the first
diesel London Taxi, a number of railcars and railbuses (e.g. the British Rail Class 103 and one of the British Rail Railbuses) and World War II vehicles. During World War II it also played a part in the production of Halifax bombers as the outer wings and engine cowlings were built at the Park Royal site. Park Royal built 150 Green Goddesses during the period November 1954 to January 1955 with PRV body numbers B37444 – B37593 and registrations PGW51 – PGW200.